Carol (Reading Ladies)'s Reviews > Merci Suárez Changes Gears

Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina

bookshelves: middle-grade, favorite-reads, authors-of-color

Oh, I love an occasional middle grade read! While reading Merci Suarez Changes Gears I was transported back to the angst of middle school where we all learn that “popular is not the same as having friends at all.” The premise of this heartwarming and engaging story is that Merci Suarez and her brother are scholarship students at an exclusive private school where they have to complete community service as part of the free tuition agreement. As Merci navigates typical middle school challenges and often feels out of place in socioeconomic ways, she also deals with her grandfather’s changing health concerns and typical conflicts with family.

Important themes include diversity of cultural experiences and expectations, the importance of a grandfather as your most important ally, determination and competition, friendship, family loyalty and support, and family life with an Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

You will love determined, independent, strong willed, witty, and thoughtful Merci! Middle schoolers will love this!

For more reviews visit my blog readingladies.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merci Suárez Changes Gears.

January 28, 2019 – Shelved