Didi's Reviews > The Cowboy Next Door

The Cowboy Next Door by Trish Milburn

bookshelves: arc-netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, cowboy-western, new-to-me-author, romance, series

3.5 Stars rounded Up

The story had me reflected that there‘s still indeed double standards when it comes to battle scars someone had. When it came to men, people accepted that scar as sign of courage and bravery; women don’t have that privilege - they are expected to keep smooth facial skin. This so called ”rules” applied to the majority of us. But then again, it is said that women are their harshest critics.

Claire Moon, the heroine in “The Cowboy Next Door” bore scars from a tragic fire that had her uprooted her life and moved to her solitary Montana house. An incident with the broken fences and meandering cows introduced her to Wes McQueen, the charming cowboy from the neighboring ranch. Not comfortable with the prospect of people staring and freaking at her scarred face, Claire tried to keep her distance which action only intrigued Wes more.

The overall plot is fairly predictable, really. However, Wes and Claire won me over with their slow-growing relationship. No instant jumping each other bones here! The getting to know each process that boosting up the attraction between the two were so sweet, Claire’s past revelation brought out as part of that getting to know conversation felt real, and - despite the sentiment that he was a player - Wes struck me as kind and dependable other than a goofy cowboy. Add puppies into the mix, you can bet I’m smitten with this book!

That said, I did feel Wes’ character transformation wasn’t given enough span to give more effect, even with alternate POVs between Wes and Claire. Not having read the previous two installments in Trish Milburn’s “Once Upon a Western” series, I only got the impression that he mostly had been a joker and serial dater from his friends and family. I also felt - for someone being called his best friend - Parker, one of the supporting character, didn’t live up to predicate. These didn’t necessarily disturb my enjoyment of the story though. Ultimately, “The Cowboy Next Door” for me is a sweet, inspiring, and enjoyable read with a pair of lovable characters (canines included). In fact, I’m going to look up the previous two books and Milburn’s other backlist titles after this.

Advanced copy of this book is kindly given by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy Next Door.

January 28, 2019 – Started Reading