Brad's Reviews > Christmas Eve, 1914

Christmas Eve, 1914 by Charles Olivier

419333

bookshelves: fiction

One of the most iconic and retold stories from World War I: the night the Germans and British lay down their arms, buried those who died in No Man’s Land trenches, sang Christmas Carols, and played soccer.⁣

Emmy Award-winner Charles Olivier’s Audible original audio play CHRISTMAS EVE, 1914, which was produced by Dawn Prestwich, is a fictionalized version of that evening.⁣

The play is short, just seventy-three minutes, but that’s more than enough time to take you on a melancholy trip through the hours leading up to the impromptu truce. ⁣

The story is told through a letter written by an officer to the family of a deceased soldier, and the cast does a brilliant job of creating recognizable characters in just a short amount of time. (This is important later when the unit appears on the verge of battle and chaos erupts.)⁣

I listened to this on a hike through Schenley Park in Pittsburgh, but I wish I would have been at home with the lights off, the candles lit, my dog, a drink, and the Bose sound system. This story felt like more like an immersive experience!⁣

Since we have a major snow and ice storm coming this week, I’m definitely going back and revisit the story. It’s that much fun.⁣

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas Eve, 1914.

Started Reading