Jay Kristoff's Reviews > Stormdancer

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

4901961

(Review from the author)

Edit 10 July: You can read the first three chapters of STORMDANCER all typeset and logo'ed and whatnot here.

STORMDANCER is my book, so it should go without saying that I love it in the pants. I love it more than that moment at the end of Top Gun when Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise have just killed the bejeezus out of all those commies and Val is all like "You can kiss me on the mouth be my wingman anytime" and the music swells and some deckhand is just wailing on an electric guitar somewhere in the background, everyone all hugging and whatnot. But I’m not going to give my own book a star rating, because that would just feel... weird.

But, I should say something about it, since we don’t have covers yet and it can’t speak for itself. Poor baby. :(

The book is infiltrating YA lists on Goodreads (many thanks to the awesome people who are voting), but it's being published on an adult imprint. Nobody seems to know what this thing is, what with all the sweary and the stabby and the sexahhh and so-on. For my part, I say only this:
description

But while we’re utilizing visual aids, let me try and explain this whole ‘Japanese-inspired Steampunk dystopia’ deal.

See, some people think Steampunk is this:

description

(All corsetry and disturbingly shaped ray guns and what have you...)

STORMDANCER is more like this:

Combined with this:

description

(She's Chinese, but you get the idea.)

So we end up with something like this:

(Grrrrr.)

Of course, within the pages you will also find some of this:

description

(They won’t be blonde, obviously...)

But truthfully, there’s more of this:

(She means it…)

There will be some of these:

description

(Actually, there are five…)

And before I forget, there’s also one of these:

description

(He's kinda important. And he doesn’t really say moo...)

Hopefully things are clearer now.

To those of you who plan to read STORMDANCER and help me live out this absurd little dream, I give my heartfelt thanks. Sincerely. Love it. Hate it. For agreeing to spend some of your time in this tiny world I’ve made, thank you.

I leave you with this looped .gif of Tyrion Lannister teaching his nephew Joffrey what the five fingers said to the face.

It has nothing to do with the book. I just find it strangely hypnotic...

What did the five fingers say to the face?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormdancer.

Started Reading
January 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 29, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)

message 1: by Corinne (new)

Corinne I can stare at that last GIF alllllll day.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Epic awesomeness, my man. That is all.

message 3: by Loni (new) - added it

Loni Flowers Well if this doesn't make you want to read it, what will??
I can't wait to read, it sounds like an awesome adventure!

Tabitha See here now Jay! You are just tormenting us until we can get our grubby little hands on this book.

message 5: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Corinne wrote: "I can stare at that last GIF alllllll day."

Sometimes, I do....

message 6: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff @Archer - alas. NAOW is not an option. I could sing for you in the meantime?

@Ace - why senkyew

@Tabitha - I have to do something to keep y'all interested until I get a cover. Like I offered Archer, I could sing for you in the meantime (you don't want me to sing for you in the meantime :P)

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Ok. I really wanted to read this before, but this has moved it to the "gimmegimmegimme" side of things. The awesome Tyrion gif doesn't hurt.

message 8: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Best. Goodreads. Review. Ever!!! The ONLY thing that sucks is that I cannot pre-order STORMDANCER as of this date, which is January 29th. Please promise me you'll let us know the instant it's up on that other literary giant ... www.amazon.com !!!

message 9: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Loni wrote: "I can't wait to read, it sounds like an awesome adventure!"

Thanks, Loni. Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing it for y'all :)

message 10: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I'm glad this review was so awesomely well written. I would have been scared to read your book if it wasn't...

message 11: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "...but this has moved it to the "gimmegimmegimme" side of things."

Lol, glad you liked it. September soon :)

message 12: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Archer wrote: "Do you also sing like Dave Grohl aside from looking like him? "

Well, if I've had enough bourbon at Extreme Karaoke, it usually seems that way to me. 0.o

message 13: by Jay (new) - added it

I do solemnly swear.

message 14: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Shannon wrote: "I'm glad this review was so awesomely well written. I would have been scared to read your book if it wasn't..."

I felt a bit weird writing it, so thanks very much :)

Emilija Jay, you just had to write this didn't you? You just had to write it and make me want the book badly, didn't you? *shakes head* The release date is too far away - I need this book now.

message 16: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Really looking forward to this book. I'm usually more of an Asian Fantasy fan, but this will be an interesting experience.

message 17: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Emilija wrote: "The release date is too far away - I need this book now."

If you hold your breath, the time will go quicker.

...no, wait. On second thoughts, don't do that.

message 18: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Maya wrote: "but this will be an interesting experience."

Hopefully not interesting in the Chinese sense of the word :)

message 19: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Gina wrote: "Please promise me you'll let us know the instant it's up on that other literary giant ... www.amazon.com !!!"

It's UP!!

Amazon link here.

Amazon UK link here.

message 20: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Jay wrote: "Gina wrote: "Please promise me you'll let us know the instant it's up on that other literary giant ... www.amazon.com !!!"

It's UP!!

Amazon link here.

Amazon UK link here."

HUZZAH!!! Just preordered one for me and one for my favorite middle school library!! Can't wait until September 18th!! Congrats Jay!

message 21: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Gina wrote: "Just preordered one for me and one for my favorite middle school library!."

Aww, thanks so much Gina :D

message 22: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Douglas Great review. I look forward to reading the book.

Angela Possibly the best review written by an author for his own book I've seen on GR, well done sir!

Seriously though, when are you hoping to get a cover sorted?

message 24: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Davids This comment is so full of win. Added the book immediately! Good luck Jay!

message 25: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Angela wrote: "Seriously though, when are you hoping to get a cover sorted?"

message 26: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff @Kaethe, Skyla & TheDutchess - Thanks a lot, folks! And thanks for helping to spread the word too. Much <3 :D

message 27: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Archer wrote: "Dude I'll buy you a crate of farmers union to have this book now lol"

Make it a crate of Gentleman Jacks and you've got a deal!

Angela Jay wrote: "Angela wrote: "Seriously though, when are you hoping to get a cover sorted?"

UK cover will be out before the end of March. US cover will be out maybe a month after that :)"

Excellent.

message 29: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Amanda wrote: "So many people have save such creative things about wanting to read this book. I can't think of anything witty so I'll just say, I am seriously looking forward to reading it. It sounds awesome!"

It's cool, we can be not witty together :)

Thanks for the support, it's much appreciated!

FasterKillFastPussycat After reading this books synopsis I admit I kind of want to marry you....lmao!!!can't wait to read this

Emilija FasterKillFastPussycat wrote: "After reading this books synopsis I admit I kind of want to marry you....lmao!!!can't wait to read this"

I wouldn't say that if I were you, his wife is a ninja assassin who owns an arsenal of chainsaw katanas.

FasterKillFastPussycat lol!!!!!!I'm actually engaged.........I love him in a pure literary sense...lol!!!

message 33: by Emilija (last edited Mar 25, 2012 11:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emilija FasterKillFastPussycat wrote: "lol!!!!!!I'm actually engaged.........I love him in a pure literary sense...lol!!!"

Well I knew that (obviously), I'm just letting you know that his wife is a ninja and we don't know if she's one of the jealous types. You never know. She might want to do things even for something like that. :D LOL

Emilija Adam "Archer" wrote: "Emilija wrote: "FasterKillFastPussycat wrote: "After reading this books synopsis I admit I kind of want to marry you....lmao!!!can't wait to read this"

I wouldn't say that if I were you, his wife..."

You have to promise me that you'll take me too. M'kay?

FasterKillFastPussycat Well, I hope she she lets me read the book before she kills me at least ;) lol!!!!

FasterKillFastPussycat Though the idea of a woman wielding a chainsaw katana is more sexy than scary (I have problems)lol!!!

Emilija Adam "Archer" wrote: "Yeah... If you can fly to Australia lol"

If you're taking me with I'd be willing to go find Narnia, not just fly to Australia.

Emilija FasterKillFastPussycat wrote: "Well, I hope she she lets me read the book before she kills me at least ;) lol!!!!"

That would be very unlikely. ;)

FasterKillFastPussycat i love women who kick ass

message 40: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff All are welcome to come drinking with us!

And my bride promises not to kill anyone for digging my books. She wants me to buy her a castle in Scotland. Those things ain't cheap. :P

FasterKillFastPussycat lol!!!Castle in Scotland.....your bride has taste.

FasterKillFastPussycat I want my fiance to take me to the ice hotel in Sweden......It's completely made of ice and it's beautiful.....cold, but beautiful..lol!!!women... How do you men put up with us...we are crazy...lol!!!

FasterKillFastPussycat Adam "Archer" wrote: "Two reasons spring forth from mammary memory"

lmao!!!!! your awesome, sir Archer.......Archer is actually my real last name...pleased to meet you...lol!!!

FasterKillFastPussycat lol!!!!

Jeremy This book looks very interesting...just wondering if Mr. Kristoff is by chance an environmentalist? :P

message 46: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff LaserWraith wrote: "just wondering if Mr. Kristoff is by chance an environmentalist? :P"

As a general rule, I don't buys into 'isms' and avoid classing myself as any kind 'ist'. It's too easy to dismiss someone's argument out of hand by slapping them with a label.

message 47: by Jeremy (last edited Mar 27, 2012 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeremy Jay wrote: "Do I give a shit about what our species is doing to this planet and the species we share it with? Most definitely. But STORMDANCER is a story before it's a message, if that makes sense. "

Ah, that's nice. Things like the Heartland affair, Climategate, and all the failed green energy projects make me distrust doomsayers and more radical environmentalists, but it looks like your book will be more than an agenda. :) (And I'm fine with personal opinions of an author being expressed in a book as long as it doesn't take over the plot, and it doesn't look like you are letting that happen.)

Thanks!

message 48: by Rogier (new) - added it

Rogier love the cover bro

message 49: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff LaserWraith wrote: "Things like the Heartland affair, Climategate, and all the failed green energy projects make me distrust doomsayers and more radical environmentalists."

I've never a been radical. Not even in the 90s when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles assured me it was cool. :)

message 50: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay Kristoff Rogier wrote: "love the cover bro"

Thanks! US cover next!