D.M.'s Reviews > On Thin Ice

On Thin Ice by Julie Cross

It’s no secret, I’m totally in love with Julie Cross’s books. Her characters always come with quirky personalities and I just can’t resist them.

Jake Hammond is the captain of Juniper falls hockey team and towns the crowned prince. He’s not what I expected and he’s very swoon-worthy. Jake is all about hockey. He keeps his head in the game and doesn’t get distracted. At the beginning of the season, something goes terribly wrong. A 100-year-old hockey hazing goes so badly Jake is left with more than a sore arm. As a punishment, he has to help coach the girl's hockey team.

Brooke is a broken version of herself. Her dad has gone to prison and her mum isn’t coping. They have moved back to Juniper falls to live with her grandmother but Brooke isn’t interested in adjustment. She is numb and only speaks when she wants to. Jake seems to be the only person she wants to share her words with.

On thin Ice put my heart in my throat a couple of times. It’s a gripping story and the suspense was making me want to read faster. This is a glimpse into a future where one choice changes everything. The truth doesn’t come out straight away and the characters have to live with the consequences of their words. It’s about doing what right.

Brooke needs a friend but the most popular boy in school isn’t the attention she wants to draw. You don’t always get to choose the person who is there for you. The pair finds a new found love for hockey. Neither was looking for love and the romance is more than sweet.

On Thin Ice is actually about hockey which doesn’t always happen in hockey romances. In fact, I learned more about the rules from this book than any other book I’ve read. I wouldn’t say I’m a pro but I really like the information. Brooke joins the girl's ice hockey team after Jake challenges her. It’s fun to see her learn what being part of the team means.

I’m a huge fan of Julie Cross’s books. This whole series is great. This can be read as a standalone, however, the characters from previous stories are part of the background in this book. I really like seeing how they are all doing.

This rating is easy for me. 5 out of 5. It’s great. It isn’t an easy story but it’s perfect. I loved the storyline and the characters came to life. High five!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Thin Ice.

January 28, 2019 – Started Reading
January 28, 2019 – Shelved
January 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry Great review. It sounds very intriguing. I'm always looking for a young adult sports romance. I will definitely check this out.

D.M. Kate I absolutely love Julie Cross’s book. This is an Entangled and available on Netgalley at the moment. Her books are more in-depth than a light-hearted read.

message 3: by Lex (new)

Lex Kent Another great review:)

message 4: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry D.M. I've started following this author on Amazon so I'll get a notice when this book is available.

D.M. Thanks Lex.

D.M. Kate, have you read any of her other books?

message 7: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry I just went over and looked at her list of books and it looks like I've read two or three of her books. I need to look into more of hers.

D.M. The second book in this series is my favourite. I love fletcher.

message 9: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry Thanks for the recommendation!

message 10: by D.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.M. Your welcome. We have similar taste. If you find anything you think I would like please let me know. Happy reading 😀

message 11: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry If you like Young Adult sports romances, I could recommend a few titles.

message 12: by D.M. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.M. Great :)

message 13: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate McMurry All of Ali Dean's books (running, swimming, skiiing)
Cinderella Steals Home by Carly Syms (baseball)
Cinderella in Cleats by Carly Syms (football)
Cinderella in Skates by Carly Syms (hockey)
Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1) by Megan Sparks (roller derby)
Hooked by Liz Fichera (golf)
Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally (softball)
Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally (horse-racing jockey)
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally (football)
Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally (running)