Imane 's Reviews > A Very Large Expanse of Sea

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary

“I didn't believe it was possible to hide a woman's beauty. I thought women were gorgeous no matter what they wore, and I didn't think they owed anyone an explanation for their sartorial choices. Different women felt comfortable in different outfits.
They were all beautiful.”
― Tahereh Mafi, A Very Large Expanse of Sea

This was a buddy read with my beautiful friend Imane.

description

I wanted to like this, really wanted to and I did enjoy the writing style and the cute romance but my biggest problem was Shirin, I've never read a book with a Muslim as a main character before, and as a Muslim girl myself, I thought that maybe I could relate to her ... but no, Shirin was so weird and angry, always complaining, she hated her school and lamented her life...
Okay, I get it. It sucks to be bullied because of how you choose to dress, but for me, Tahereh completely missed the chance to delve deeper into the experience of a Muslim teenager in a post-9/11 world. Many of the most interesting elements are glossed over, I expected much more than just a story about bullies and break dancing practices. I also felt that the ending was a bit rushed!
Oh, and btw i totally disagree with the author, hijab and headscarf are not the same thing, but this is a completely different discussion, if you want to learn more, you can check out this amazing Ted talk by Samina Ali

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Very Large Expanse of Sea.

January 21, 2019 – Started Reading