Jennifer Haskin's Reviews > A Spoke In The Wheel

A Spoke In The Wheel by Kathleen Jowitt

A Spoke In the Wheel is a wonderful tale of second chances. Jowitt leads us through the aftermath of a famous fictional cyclist’s downfall by using drugs to win. It chronicles Ben Goddard’s life as he rebuilds new friendships with an unlikely duo, finds a home, and eventually finds love. Ben works two jobs, doesn’t ride a bicycle anymore, he’s just trying to make ends meet and stay unrecognizable. Vicki is also a driven cyclist who relates to Ben’s love of the sport, and almost a lawyer. Polly is a fan of cycling; she deals with being called a “fraud” like Ben, because though she can walk, she is able to do more with the use of a wheelchair. This book is very handi-cap friendly. It’s about learning to accept yourself and remaking life into something better. Bicycle enthusiasts will enjoy the references to famous sites and cycles. I can’t name them all, sorry. Romance lovers will enjoy the slow-build relationships. Maybe you see it coming, maybe you don’t. This author is from the UK and there is a lot of terminology that is not common for Americans, but most of it was easy to figure out from the context. Also, there is some French dialogue that was lovely. I would have liked a translation, looking that up took me out of the story. But overall, a good read with sweet romance and personal growth. I recommend it. 4.5 stars.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spoke In The Wheel.

Started Reading