Lubnaa (Romance Library)'s Reviews > Wicked with the Scoundrel

Wicked with the Scoundrel by Elizabeth   Bright

bookshelves: 2019, arc, historical-romance

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a cute and funny historical romance! Wicked With The Scoundrel was less angsty and fluffier than the first two books in the series. The tone of the story worked so well with the main characters, especially Lady Claire, who is such an unusual romance heroine. Lady Claire has an eidetic memory – she remembers everything and the only way she can process her memories is by creating ordered lists. Many people find her unusual and so did Colin – but he loved her all the more for it. I was a little unsure about Colin at first because he was severely (and understandably) prejudiced against aristocrats. He had trouble accepting the fact that he liked Claire, but I love how he gradually fell in love with her. Claire is such a unique, quirky, loveable, and endearing character and Colin easily saw her for the woman that she is.

The whole treasure hunt part of the story was unreal and far fetched, but it worked out really well with the kind of story that Ms. Bright was trying to tell. However, it did feel as if the relationship moved forward a little too quickly. I was initially worried about Colin’s overprotectiveness because it’s such a common trope that many historical romance authors use as a barrier between couples. Thankfully, this trope took an unexpected turn, mostly because of Claire. I should have known it would turn out differently because Claire herself is such a unique heroine. I was pleasantly surprised by how things turned out in the end.

I also LOVE the secondary characters, especially Nate and Wessex. The entire scene with the men teaching Colin how to dance killed me with laughter. That being said, I do feel that Claire’s family wasn’t as fleshed out as the other secondary characters – they felt like wallpaper characters even though her father had a couple of important scenes. I find it strange that we didn’t even know she had a brother until 83% of the book. Regardless, I really enjoyed this book and I am SO excited for the next book!!! I have waited for Eliza and Wessex’s book for soooo long!!! I can’t wait!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked with the Scoundrel.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading
January 27, 2019 – Shelved
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-romance
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 27, 2019 –
3.0% "Our hero is afraid of goats. I'd say we're off to a great start LOL 😂"
January 28, 2019 –
16.0% ""They were all so comfortable with each other, so at ease! Whereas she stood not quite alone, but not quite one of them, either. So it had been for her entire life.""
January 28, 2019 –
40.0% ""The inn had plenty of rooms available, much to Claire's disappointment. If this had been one of Adelaide's Gothic novels, there would have been only one room and one bed." 😂"
January 30, 2019 –
76.0% "I'm DYING of laughter. I love Wessex so much 😂"
January 30, 2019 – Finished Reading