Gabby's Reviews > Golden State

Golden State by Ben H. Winters

This was a strange book that progressively got more strange as I got closer to the end. This is a dystopian novel about a futuristic California where there are police who detect lies, and lying causes you to go to prison (or even worse, face execution.) I’m not a huge fan of dystopians but this one sounded interesting, and it is very similar to Fahrenheit 451 as the description claims.

I was really invested in the beginning of this story, it’s very thought provoking and it has a lot to say about how do we know what’s really true in our world, and in our terrible political climate lately - this shows us what a world of absolute truth would look like. I was invested in the mystery building around this mans death that forces the main character to question everything he thought he know about truth and speculation.

This was really interesting, but part 2 started to get very confusing and strange and I lost interest in this story. I feel like the ending really dropped the ball on what was otherwise a very interesting premise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden State.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: own
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
January 28, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Janette Ramos I read this book as my BOTM pick. Agree totally about your opinion about the ending. Love your videos btw.