Riku Sayuj's Reviews > Poke the Box

Jan 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mba-stuff, r-r-rs
Read from January 12 to 13, 2012

After finishing the book, I have realized that this would not be fair. I particularly liked the section on Intellectual Integrity and Seth's point that anyone not putting his ideas into the world is actually stealing them from the world and should be treated as such. Yes, every section in the book is repetitive and makes the same exhortation again an again - Start Innovating. And maybe, just maybe, even the obvious facts need to be drilled in.

The book is mildly inspirational and some anecdotes are nice but all in all, his succinct blog entries would be a better investment for an interested reader's time than going through this book. The book does not poke the box; it is not stimulating and original enough but the central idea is worth restating: If the only reason you are not initiating your quest is that you are afraid to start, perhaps you ought to think about what is at stake. Have you fully understood the cost of not starting?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poke the Box.

01/12/2012
100.0% "Half way through the book, I had decided that this book merits only a one sentence review: Seth Godin, surprisingly, turns out to be Mr. Obvious. But, I have realized that this would not be fair. The core message was valid: If the only reason you are not initiating your quest is that you are afraid to start, perhaps you ought to think about what is at stake. Have you fully understood the cost of not starting?"
12/20/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ned (new)

Ned Mozier this is a helpful review Riku, thanks for respecting him enough to give him his due. I have his first book on my shelf, where it sits lonely and likely unrequited.

Riku Sayuj Ned wrote: "this is a helpful review Riku, thanks for respecting him enough to give him his due. I have his first book on my shelf, where it sits lonely and likely unrequited."

I heard the news of his passing yesterday... was just going through the 3-4 books of his that I had read.