Karen's Reviews > So Lucky

So Lucky by Nicola Griffith

190448

liked it

3.5 stars. (I don't why 1-5 never seems enough for me that I have to give half points!)

This was a very interesting read. It reads like a memoir when it's fiction. Even after reading it, I am not sure if parts of it are true vs made up. I guess it doesn't matter. It reads like a raw memoir of a woman recently diagnosed by MS.

I have an ex-boyfriend who has MS so I was curious to see what the author wrote about it. While there are some bits about MS itself, the book, was so much more. It was about helplessness, anger, frustration and all the feelings you feel when your life starts on a negative spiral and doesn't seem to let up. There are so many simultaneous horrible things in this character's life. I don't want to ruin any of the plot but it's just one bad news after another. And then she tries to fight it all and that ends up backfiring on her.

And she can't rely on anyone really. Not her loved ones, not people who are supposed to protect us. Not her own body (or mind.)

I love that the emotion in this book is real. It's not sugar-coated. It's not fake. It does choose your empathy over the character's realness. It gives it all to you raw and in abundance. It's hard to read because you're so uncomfortable with it all. But that's the point. (or so i assume.)

I'm glad it was a short novel, I am not sure I could have taken it if it were twice as long. But I am also glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Lucky.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading