MC's Reviews > The Darkening Age: The Christian Destruction of the Classical World

The Darkening Age by Catherine Nixey

3919976

When I returned from a trip to Italy in late 2018, I wanted to learn all the classical things and watch all the documentaries on the Italian Renaissance. This book was one of my leftover library hold binges from January and I really enjoyed such an unusual perspective on the rise of early Christianity in ancient Rome.

Nixey presents research and writings from the point of view of the pagans and the so-called heretics who watched as their temples, sculptures and way of life were slowly eroded away by the new fad called Christianity.

As a causal reader of history, this was fast-paced, interesting and well-written. Nixey has a sardonic sense of humor that some could translate as a deep bias against Christians. And, to be fair, there are a few passages where she refers to these early Christians as uneducated, barbarians (but also, to be fair, this is in the context of when they’re burning thousands of scrolls and mutilating statues of Roman gods.)

Overall, a fascinating book and one I would recommend to other readers who enjoy diverse and provocative perspectives on history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkening Age.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading