Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > I Know What Love Is

I Know What Love Is by Whitney Bianca

Torn between four and five stars

Was this book technically perfect? No.
Did it make me uncomfortable? Sure did.
But-
Was it unique and different? Yep.
Do I think it will stick with me, and be a book I remember for a long time? Also yep.
This book was DARK. It doesn't start out nice. It isn't nice in the middle. And it isn't nice at the end. Is it even a romance? That's arguable. Dark erotica? Probably a better description.
I couldn't put this book down. It was different than nearly anything I've read. I've read a few books before with crazy anti-heroes, but not quite THIS crazy. And he's not even a mafia/cartel guy- just a normal, everyday guy. With massive mental/emotional problems. Who doesn't understand boundaries.
Also, he's hot. So that helps.
I was all over the place reading this. Not unlike this review. Is it okay that I thought some parts of it were hot? Even though the (anti-)hero unquestionably attacks the heroine multiple times? Kidnaps her? Hurts her? Ties her up? I'm kind of ashamed of myself right now.
There were some mental issues going on in this book with both of the main characters. Elliot's issues seemed to have been there all along, not necessarily increasing in severity but maybe being revealed in pieces. In contrast, Joan's issues could very well be attributed mostly to her "special times" with Elliot. Untreated trauma can do funny things to people. That is the only explanation I have for Joan's behavior in this book.
Again, I couldn't put it down. There is a strong possibility of a future re-read. And I am not proud of myself for that. My only defense is that I read this like a suspense novel.
I do wish we had gotten to see more of the back story on Elliot. Whose house did he live in? How did he get to be the way he is? Was he born that way, or did that evolve? I'm curious.
With careful reminder of triggers and the dark content of this book, I do recommend it as a suspenseful read to mess with your head.

TRIGGERS: Non-consent, dubious consent, kidnapping, stalking, murder, attempted murder.

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know What Love Is.

January 27, 2019 – Shelved