Erica Chilson's Reviews > The Other Book

The Other Book by Roe Horvat

4182064
I received a free copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3 Stars

Roe Horvat is a new-to-me author.

The Other Book was a super quick novella, which I read in an hour or two this afternoon. Light, even with darker emotions of grief due to the abundant erotic content.

Joel is an in-the-closet boss, who has to keep a firm grip on his emotions to control the lust he feels for a freelancer at his company, because his dying, bigoted father affects his bottom line. Freelancer Tyler is out and proud, living his life by his own terms, with a natural authority that draws Joel like a moth to flame.

I enjoyed the start of the novella, quickly engaged and wishing to know what happened next, especially with how Joel and Tyler interacted at the start. However, no matter the darker emotional content leveled at me via the author, it was dramatically lessened by how the few pages of character building content was interspersed with nothing but redundant between-the-sheets action, with a gratuitous menage scene tossed into the mix for titillation factor.

If you're looking for an erotic novella, The Other Book will surely fit the bill. 90% between the sheets action, 10% content. There was definitely sex and more sex, but for me, the much-needed tension and connection kept me from calling this book smoking hot, scorching, or filthy. Maybe I just read too much, so all these scenes just meld into sameness after a while.

Definitely not my cup of tea, because I need a bit more depth and true steam, so I'm on the fence about trying another book by this author. However, I do recommend to readers who are looking for an erotic MM Romance novella, since what titillates us is as individual as what we enjoy in a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Book.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading