Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Undeniable

Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan

So many feelings! Rage, mostly.

Thoughts on Deuce:
13% Welp, you're a bit of a creepy creeperson. She's 16, sir.
19%: Welp, you're a steaming piece of hot garbage. You're (still) married, sir.
32%: Die. Just die. I'm done with you.
41%: That's what you GET! Jerkface.
44%: You're is still here? You didn't die yet? Because I'd still like for you to die. And it's getting worse, not better. You make Frankie look good, even after what he did to her. So... there's that.
45%: Christ.
49%: Ok... maybe Frankie is too crazy, and you don't make him look good any more. Also, I should've started a tally of how many times you address Eva as "bitch."
72%: It's curious that you have now come down on young men twice for being "disrespectful toward women" when earlier in the book you pushed a woman's head back into place and told her, “B#*ch, you stop suckin’ one more time, and I’m gonna slap you." And in front of Eva, no less. I guess I'm not real impressed with YOUR respect for women.
75%: WHAT THE HELL!!!
78%: Wow. Real nice. What a prize you are, Deuce.
80%: #&%@^#*@%!!!!!!! 😡🔪
At the end: Well, you seem to be trying. But I hope Eva's people keep an eye on you in case you go back to old habits. Jerkface.

Overall it took Deuce ENTIRELY too long to get his head on straight with regard to Eva. And by the time he did he had done things so hurtful, so truly awful that I don't think forgiveness would be realistic. Seriously. You can't unsee the things he let her see (i.e. the other women). The things he said to her can't be unheard.

I ended the book still not liking Deuce. For reals. Honestly I almost preferred lunatic Frankie, even with the terrible things he did. He did things that hurt Eva, but not on purpose. He just didn't know any better because he was messed up. But Deuce? He hurt her on purpose. So, in that capacity Frankie was the superior partner. Also, Frankie never ran around on her. So there's that.

I completely fail to see the appeal of this lifestyle for women, if what is read in MC novels has any truth to it. It seems to me that there is no good role for a woman in that world. Either way women are disrespected, cheated on, lied to, and who knows what else. So, what I'm saying is, I didn't really like any of the male characters in this book. They were all pieces of garbage in their own ways. Again, Frankie was a homicidal psycho, but at least he was arguably good to Eva. He treated her better than these other club guys treated their wives.

Anyway, if you are looking for likable heroes then you need to just MOVE ALONG. You won't find that here. And my tolerance for book-boyfriend nonsense is relatively high, so that's saying something. However, if you are in the mood for a seriously gritty and dark romance where the "hero" is arguably not redeemed in the end, then this might be your jam. It definitely kept me reading. I had to know what happened. I had to see how the author would try (or IF she would try) to redeem Deuce.

Am I going to continue to the next book? Yep! That dang teaser at the end got me. Am I going in with the understanding that these guys suck, and I probably won't like any of them? Also yep.

TRIGGER WARNING: Cheating (multiple instances); non-consent (multiple instances).

Edit: I'm still thinking about this book the day after so I'm upgrading it to five stars. I anticipate this book sticking with me. While I didn't love the hero (or his friends), I did love the book.

Find me at:
Instagram
Facebook
Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undeniable.

January 27, 2019 – Shelved