Julie's Reviews > Syrian Brides

Syrian Brides by Anna Halabi

bookshelves: 2019, contemporary-fiction, cultural, e-book, kindle-lending-library, novella-short-story

Syrian Brides by Anna Halabi is a 2018 publication.

An eye -opening collection of short stories centered around Syrian brides or brides-to be. These stories range from charming to alarming giving readers a unique insight into the Syrian culture.

This book created a little buzz a few months back, piquing my curiosity. I’m always eager to learn more about different cultures, so I decided to check it out for myself.

I’m so glad I discovered this gem. These stories are full of whip smart dialogue, is very fresh and quite clever, and often ironic. The tone is often humorous, but these stories have a bite to them. The subject matter is not light, addressing domestic violence and repression and oppression. Yet, these women, for the most part, display fortitude, grace, wit, and strength. They are quite ingenious, given their circumstances, often finding ways to circumvent or lessen their burdens.

All these stories are good but, I don’t feel comfortable describing them in detail because it would most likely give something away.

The author wisely begins the collection with a delightful story which made me smile and was the perfect segue into what followed. The stories have a whimsical quality, but are serious and cautionary, as well, providing a great deal of food for thought. Some relay messages any culture can recognize and learn from, but, naturally, I did bristle at the offensive attitudes of the men in these stories.

Each of the eleven stories is strong, no ‘fillers’ or weaknesses. Naturally, I liked one or two more than the others, but even when I didn’t care for the outcome of a given story, I respected the lesson learned from it.

As we all work to better the lives of women, not just in our own country, but for women everywhere, this book left a deep impression on me. On one hand, I felt disheartened by the patriarchal dominance and oppression described within these stories, but on the other hand, I feel humbled and gained much insight through these stories.

The author has done a fantastic job, not only with the writing, but with the organization and order in which the stories were presented. I’m going to press the ‘recommend’ button for this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Syrian Brides.

January 27, 2019 – Shelved
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-lending-library
April 28, 2019 – Shelved as: novella-short-story
July 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

message 1: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila Sounds unusual and interesting Julie. How are you finding it?

Julie Leila wrote: "Sounds unusual and interesting Julie. How are you finding it?"

I haven't gotten started on it good. It was in my KU subscription, and I had almost forgotten about it until the author contacted me yesterday. It's a short book, so hopefully I can get it reviewed for you soon. I'll keep you posted! 🤗🌹

Gretchen Did you like it? I really enjoyed the dark humor.

Farah ファラ Julie, exceptionally written review!

message 5: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Wonderful, charming review Julie!

message 6: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review, Julie.

Julie Gretchen wrote: "Did you like it? I really enjoyed the dark humor."

I did like it and yes, the dark humor was very well done! 😊

Julie Angela M wrote: "Great review, Julie."

Thank you, Angela! 😊

Julie Farah ファラ wrote: "Julie, exceptionally written review!"

Thank you, Farah!! 😊😊

Julie Beverly wrote: "Wonderful, charming review Julie!"

Thank you, Beverly!! 😊

message 11: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊😊

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds intriguing, great review Julie!

message 14: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Excellent review, Julie. I'm sure this was a very interesting journey into another culture :-)

message 15: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Excellent review, Julie. I love when a book helps us understand another culture better.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Julie! It sounds like these stories are both important and memorable. ♥️

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds intriguing, great review Julie!"

Thank you very much, Holly!! 😊😊

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! It sounds like these stories are both important and memorable. ♥️"

Thank you, Jennifer! Yes, they will stay with me for a long time to come! 😊😊

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. I love when a book helps us understand another culture better."

Thank you, Antoinette! So do I. 😊😊

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. I'm sure this was a very interesting journey into another culture :-)"

Thank you, TQ!! It was enlightening, for sure. 😊😊

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Fabulous review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!! 😊😊

message 23: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!🤗🌸

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗🌸"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊😊

message 25: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Julie! Happy 4th July to you and your family today!
💕🌹

Julie Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Happy 4th July to you and your family today!
💕🌹"

Thank you so much, Nicola!! 🎆🎇🧨

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen Glad this one was an impactful one for you, Julie. Great review.

Julie Jen wrote: "Glad this one was an impactful one for you, Julie. Great review."

Thank you very much, Jen!! 😊😊

message 29: by KAS (new)

KAS Lovely review, Julie ;) Glad you really enjoyed this author’s writing talent!! 💚💜❤️

message 30: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Sounds like an insightful peek into a fascinating culture. Excellent review, Julie! 💞

Julie KAS wrote: "Lovely review, Julie ;) Glad you really enjoyed this author’s writing talent!! 💚💜❤️"

Thank you so much, KAS!! 😊😊💕🤗

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Sounds like an insightful peek into a fascinating culture. Excellent review, Julie! 💞"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! It was! The author's approach was genius! 🤗💕

message 33: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Julie!!👍😉💓💋

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Julie!!👍😉💓💋"

Thank you, Kat!! 😊💕

message 35: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Halabi Dear Julie,
thank you for your great review of Syrian Brides. I am so glad you enjoyed reading it!
I was wondering if you would maybe also post your review on your blog?
Warmest regards,
Anna Halabi

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy Great review, Julie!

Julie Anna wrote: "Dear Julie,
I was wondering if you would maybe also post your review on your blog?
Warmest regards,
Anna Ha..."

Hello, dear Anna!! You are most welcome!! I have you down for August 7th at The Book Review- https://www.the-bookreview.com. 💕

Julie Amy wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, Amy!! 💕

message 39: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Beautiful and powerful

Julie Elyse wrote: "Beautiful and powerful"

Thank you, Elyse!! 😊😊

message 41: by JanB (new)

JanB Intriguing review Julie of what sounds like an important book!

Julie JanB wrote: "Intriguing review Julie of what sounds like an important book!"

Thank you, Jan!! It definitely made me think, but it was entertaining too! 💕

message 43: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Fantastic review Julie!

Julie Karen wrote: "Fantastic review Julie!"

Thank you, Karen!! 💕