Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Military Wife

The Military Wife by Laura Trentham

I got home from work a few days ago and to my surprise, this book was waiting for me in the mailbox, a nice little present from St. Martin's Press. I love when they send me books from authors I've never read. It's how I've discovered some incredible authors I wouldn't have otherwise had the pleasure of reading.

Anyway, back to the review. Right off the bat, I was drawn to this book simply from the cover. The cover is breathtaking, light, airy, and gives me joy. It's definitely a book that would draw my eye on a bookstore shelf.

So what's it about? Harper Lee Wilcox is a widow. Her husband, Noah, died in the service 5 years ago and she is still recovering from the shock and devastation of losing him. Luckily she has the support of several other military wives on whom she can lean. In her interactions with the wives, Harper finds that several of the wives are craving a purpose outside of their wifely duties, prompting a unique business opportunity and a chance to heal Harper's wounds. Meanwhile, Harper crosses paths with one of Noah's Navy SEAL brothers, Bennett Caldwell. And their lives become intertwined in an unexpected way.

Complex, devastating, uplifting, real, and beautifully written, Laura Trentham's latest book is a testament to the challenging lives our military members live and the sacrifices their spouses make along the way. There are so many important topics explored throughout this novel. PTSD. Grief. Loss. Love. Guilt. Redemption. Forgiveness. Second chances. This book has it all. But amazingly, it was not overwhelming. The story lines fit together beautifully and despite being jam packed with content, the story did not get convoluted at all.

I honestly could not put this book down. Laura Trentham is a new author for me. Although she has written a series of romance novels, this is her first in the women's fiction genre. And in my eyes, this is a fantastic debut in a challenging and competitive genre. I must say I was pretty excited when I saw this denoted as "A Heart of Hero #1"... bring on the next in the series!

The writing really reminded me of one of my other faves, Kristy Woodson Harvey. If you've read and enjoyed the Peachtree Bluff series, you would love this book. It comes highly recommended.

-I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to St. Martin's Press and Laura Trentham for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Military Wife.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading