Silver James's Reviews > Wild Country

Wild Country by Anne Bishop

bookshelves: want-to-buy-wish-list, audio-books, 2019-books-read, auto-buy-series, fantasy, keeper, paranormal, romantic-fiction, 2020-books-read, urban-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read January 9, 2020 to January 11, 2020.

Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7) by Anne Bishop This book breaks my heart. It hurts to listen to, but it is so compelling that I can't stop. And now that I've come to the end of what's been written about the Others, I want more. I want to know what happens in Bennett. I want to know what becomes of the Wolfguard and the Wolverine, of the sanguinatti, of Jana and Tobias, and all the others. I want more peeks into this world. I hope Anne Bishop isn't finished with them.

I have made a note to myself. The next time I go through this series again, I will insert this book directly after ETCHED IN BONE, even though the Lake Silence book is listed as next. It really isn't.

2019 Reveiw: Less than a minute into the author's note, I knew I needed to go back and listen to ETCHED IN BONE, book #6, in The Others series, as WILD COUNTRY's timeline runs mostly concurrently with EIB. It had been long enough, and I didn't have a stack of multiple rereads of MARKED IN FLESH, which has a lot of set up for EIB and WC. Besides, I love these books and this world. Admitedly, I skimmed through the first 3 books in the series and then really listened to the other books. Note: Alexandra Harris does an amazing job with the narration. Also note: A reader really should start with WRITTEN IN RED, the first book. The worldbuilding, the character arcs, the events and the history all should be experienced from the beginning to get the full impact of each book.

In Wild Country, Bishop returns to Bennett and Prairie Gold, epicenters of some events in MARKED IN FLESH and ETCHED IN BONE. Bad things have happened. The Elders have retaliated against humans. Bennett is a ghost town, but there's an experiment in the making--a town controlled by the Others, but combining Simple Life folk, Intuits, other humans and the terra indigene to see if they CAN live together. Enter Jana Paniccia, a fresh graduate of the police academy but unable to get a job because of her gender. She ends up in Bennett, as the deputy to the wolfgard sheriff, Virgil, who lost his mate, pups, and pack--all but his brother, when the Humans First group slaughtered the wolves.

There is so much going on in this book--big things, small things, many things. There are missteps, misunderstandings, compromise, and grudging respect beginning to be earned. And then THOSE kind of people, the Cyrus-kind of people arrive, and things go...bad. There are small romances, found family, death, and...yeah. This book pretty much has it all for a fantasy. There is life, death, and life after death. And a riveting read getting from Chapter 1 to The End.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Country.

January 27, 2019 – Shelved