Michael D. Kanner's Reviews > Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

66072062

So, I am not the target audience for this and ordered it because the title had me thinking it would be like PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES. (I guess I should really check the classifications, but THE HUNGER GAMES is listed as YA and I loved it).

Having gotten over that this was most likely written for teenage girls (it is a Harlequin romance), I REALLY LIKED IT! Okay, the description of how 'scrumptious' the male lead was got to be a bit much, but I quickly skimmed those sections. I was rewarded with a really good story which took a whole new take on the familiar Zombie trope. Without giving spoilers, these are not the mindless brain-eaters that have populated the genre since Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968). They are pure evil and capable of working in an organized strategic manner and exist in the spiritual world as well as the physical.

As an aside, you can take the description of how the physical and spiritual link as an update of Plato's allegory of the cave (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegor...), but that was probably not what the author was thinking about. Just saying.

Let me add, this has one of the best secondary characters in Kat, Alice's friend. She is loud, proud and in charge no matter what happens. Think Jamie-Lee O'Donnell's Michelle from DERRY GIRLS (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7120662/...). She shares a medical condition with one of my students and both have the same attitude and I love it.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll complete the series, but it will stay on my possible list. It is a tribute to the idea that a good story well executed should not be limited by a publisher's listing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Zombieland.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading