G.J. Griffiths's Reviews > Wales History of a Nation

Wales History of a Nation by David  Ross

bookshelves: guides, my-reviews, history

Having visited Wales many times, in particular North Wales and Anglesey, I found this book very interesting. Without going into great depth David Ross relates enough detail about the early history of Celts, Druids etc, and the various rulers and warring factions, to keep the attention of the reader who is not necessarily a student of history but who desires to understand how modern Wales 'came about'. The sections about establishing the Welsh language as a school subject, and also as a legal right, are fascinating. There were a couple of observations by the author about the mass migration of the Scots and Irish to America, in previous centuries, compared to the Welsh populace who were not compelled or inclined to do so. Whether it is true that those who left British shores, for a 'better life', took a generation of people with drive and determination to succeed is debatable, but an intriguing thought. Towards the end of the book the subjects of devolution and the emergence of Plaid Cymru are discussed and this helped me gain a much deeper appreciation of the feelings, the rights, and the wrongs of those matters that are important to a distinct nation of special people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wales History of a Nation.

Started Reading