Julia's Reviews > Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise

Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise by William Kotzwinkle

Jul 10, 2008

Recommended for: children ages 6-10

I love the dedication to all of the Walter the Farting Dog Books "For everyone who's ever felt misjudged or misunderstood."

In this series of books Walter has insatiable gas that drives everyone away. In each book though the author shows how that negative aspect can be turned into something positive. In this book the motor of the cruise ship that they are on dies and it is Walter's "Fart Power" that is able to get them back to shore. These books always make students smile because of Walter's antics.

The illustrations in this book are not typical. They are created with a unique digital painting and collage technique.

I also listened to the audio version of this story which I downloaded from iTunes. The audio is about 8 minutes long. This version uses different voices for the different characters. Walter's voice is a little more sheepish than I would have imagined it to be. In some ways the audio version reminds me of the way stories are read and presented on Reading Rainbow. This would be a way for students to experience the story in a different way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise.

message 1: by Vsw (new)

Vsw I imagine that the grossness of farting would be a hook for some readers and a turn off for others! :-)