TheGeekyBlogger's Reviews > The Awakening / The Struggle

196094
Jan 28, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2010

What I Loved: Not much really and I think this totally has to do with me being a fan of the show. So this is one case where the show ruined the books for me.

What I Liked: In comparison to the first novel, I like that they have given you more of Damon and Stefan backstory. Matt is actually a very likable character in the books, so he is a bit of a joy to read.

What I don't like: I think L.J. Smith must have gone to a very small school with only shallow type of girls in it because most of the women in this book are annoying. I find myself not caring if anything bad happens to any of them....except Meredith (she appears to be a truly caring character).

Why it got a 2: Plain and simple--I enjoy the show 20 times more than I am enjoying the books. Will I finish the books--eventually since I do own them. These are not badly written and they are somewhat quick reads. I would say check them out if you are curious or better yet if you haven't seen the series. Otherwise, don't bother bumping them up on your TBR list, just read them when you get to them.

Author Website: http://www.ljanesmith.net/

Review: This might be one of those times it hurt me to see the show before reading the books.

What I loved: I didn't really love anything about this book. I did think it was a quick read and really well written though.

What I liked: I liked the amount of detail put into the scenery, something I think is missing from alot of book. I liked Stefan, Matt, Bonnie, and Meredith. I thought Caroline was sufficiently *itchy.

What I didn't like (still not warmed up too): Elena. I am sorry but at no point do I think she deserves to get the guy. She is shallow, self-serving, manipulative, and a little to much like Katherine from the show. All I kept thinking is Stefan and Matt have the worst taste in women. I might start to like her as the series progresses but right now I just don't like her character at all. Which could be a problem since she is the center of the series.

Overall I gave it a 3, there was enough good parts to outrank my dislike of Elena.

Author Website: http://www.ljanesmith.net/
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening / The Struggle.