T.B. Cooper's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Maybe it’s the raving reviews and the hype that put my expectations higher than necessary? Maybe I’m just too old to appreciate it with 5 stars? I mean, Dystopian America? Heck yeah… sign me up! I LOVE Dystopian Novels, YA ones included. But throw in some Cinderella-esque themes into it and uh, nope. Not for me.

This was a nice little mash-up of Hunger Games (i.e. the televised competition; remnants of society such as technology, left over in a Dystopian America; the class systems of the well-off/well-fed vs. the destitute & starving; the girl with an “I don’t wanna” & “I’ma go against the rules” & “I’m only doing it for my sibling” attitude… all while on her way to becoming the hero) and Cinderella/Beauty & the Beast (where a somewhat middle-class girl just “be’s herself” around the Prince and thereby ends up winning his favor).

Still, it was a pleasure to read. It read smoothly and I got through it quickly. I just feel from this book 1 of the series, that the tone set for the rest of the story will remain ultimately, light. I could be COMPLETELY WRONG. I have not gone on to read the synopsis for the rest of the series, other than figuring out the obvious which is the girl gets the guy. Maybe it gets darker and more struggles that are aligned with what ‘appears’ COULD happen, do in fact, happen. Again, I don’t know.

The “threats” in the book were not nearly as menacing (or didn’t feel like they were, at least) as I’d imagine them to be… meaning, I wasn’t at all scared or anxious for the main characters. I’m assuming calling this a “Dystopian Fairytale” would be fair; a good book, just not for me. I need my characters to go through a bit more hell and heartache, especially when they’re living in a world where the world we know now, doesn’t exist and the rules have (mostly) all been rewritten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

Finished Reading