Kirstie's Reviews > Forest Born

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

bookshelves: fairy-tale, fantasy, strong-female-characters

A good way to round out the series and show the final nature speaking talent we've all been waiting for.

Rin as a character occasionally felt a bit too meek for my personal liking with her mirroring others(though she did stand up when it mattered against the nasty nursemaid), but I could see how she'd formed this personality, and it made perfect sense for the story.

Overall, I love the world building for this series. It is a at first glance standard pseudo-European fantasy world, but when you pay attention to the fact the clothes vary from country to country (something a lot of those standard fantasies forget to do), and we get the difficulties of different languages in this book, you see some more to it. The magic system is an intriguing idea, and how each one differs to suit its originating element is cool.

I love the characters. So many of them seem so real. I also love how in this book the tropey gender roles were flipped largely. eg/(view spoiler).

(view spoiler)

Overall, a great fun series definitely worth a read for those who like YA fantasy, especially with fairy tale twists (thought most of the direct fairy tale-ness dissappears after the first book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.

January 26, 2019 – Started Reading