*TUDOR^QUEEN*'s Reviews > The End of Loneliness

The End of Loneliness by Benedict Wells

This was a very moving account of three siblings from Munich, Germany who tragically lost their parents in a car accident. The story is told from the perspective of the youngest son, Jules. As the story begins, a now adult Jules wakes up in hospital realizing he has survived a motorcycle accident. Both Jules' older brother Marty and the hospital psychologist question whether it was an accident or a suicide attempt. From here, the story rewinds to its beginning.

Jules is a carefree, brave and outgoing child of 7. He loves his apartment where he can look down into a pleasant courtyard. His pretty Mom plays a Beatles cassette in the car as they make their annual summer jaunt to visit Grandmother in her ivy-covered house in the south of France. Dad is an aspiring photographer, but in reality is an accountant. He is well thought of at work and has an engaging personality. The Moreau's family life seemed rather idyllic during this early period, and I was easily lured into the story.

As time progresses, the father doesn't seem as sound of spirit as he used to be. He comes home from work later than usual and seems agitated. The parents' marriage doesn't seem quite as loving as it used to be. To that end, the parents go away alone on a trip hoping for a restorative effect on their marriage. Instead, they wind up dying in a car accident. This results in Jules, Marty, and the oldest- sister Liz- being sent to a boarding school. Jules is separated from his older siblings in the building. Still in shock and mourning, Jules is not the same madcap, ebullient personality he used to be...especially in this new environment. Then he meets a girl named Alva.

Jules used to sit towards the back of the class, keeping to himself. Alva started sitting next to him. One rainy day, she came over to his room at the boarding school where he played her a Nick Drake album; one of his Mom's favorites. Alva's passion was reading, and she could always be found sitting in some improbable position atop various pieces of furniture, enthralled in a book. Jules used to have a passion too...for writing stories.

Jules never forgot something his father fervently told him: "The most important thing is that you find your true friend, Jules. Your true friend is someone who's always there, who walks beside you all your life. You have to find them; it's more important than anything, even love. Because love doesn't always last." Jules was certain that person was Alva.

This was a very rich story spanning decades in Jules' pursuit and devotion of Alva. His single-minded focus on her is unwavering. It also follows the interesting and unfolding lives of Jules' siblings, Marty and Liz. The character of Jules is very likeable and sympathetic. He has emotional issues to work on, to come to terms with the last moments he spent with his father before he was snatched by death. This is also a story of a family that is always there for each other, and it was a very touching read.

Thank you to the publisher Penguin Books who provided an advance reader copy via Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Loneliness.

January 26, 2019 – Shelved
January 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 2, 2019 – Started Reading
February 2, 2019 –
February 3, 2019 –
February 4, 2019 –
February 4, 2019 –
February 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

Angela M Fabulous review, TQ. So glad you loved it!

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Fantastic review, Tudor ;)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Angela, thank you so much. It really was a wonderful read :-)

message 4: by Dita (new)

Dita Compelling review! Well done!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Diane, thank you! ♡♡♡

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Dita, thank you very much! ♡♡♡

message 7: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Beautiful review Tudor Queen!🤗💕

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Kaceey - Thank you very much! ♡♡♡

message 9: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce Wonderful review! I have heard such great things about this book. Glad you found it to be true.

message 10: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (last edited Feb 05, 2019 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Marialyce- Thank you! How wonderful the Goodreads environment is that draws us to exceptional books. I kept hearing the great buzz on this book also! :-)

message 11: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Excellent review, Tudor Queen! Can't wait to read this one :)

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy Nice review Ms Queen!

message 13: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Really lovely review TQ! 🤗

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Candi wrote: "Excellent review, Tudor Queen! Can't wait to read this one :)"

Thank you so much, Candi! Hope you enjoy it! :-)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Judy wrote: "Nice review Ms Queen!"

Thank you, Judy! :-)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Maureen wrote: "Really lovely review TQ! 🤗"

Thank you so much, Maureen! :-)

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Sounds wonderful ....... great review TQ!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Richard- Thank you very much! :-)

message 19: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Terrific review! Really looking forward to reading this one.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review! Really looking forward to reading this one."

Thank you, Antoinette...may you enjoy it! :-)

message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!! :)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Deanna wrote: "Great review!! :)"

Thanks so much, Deanna! :-)

message 23: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne  Strong Stellar review TQ! Glad you loved this!

Nicola Gipson Fantastic review TQ! I’m really looking forward to reading this! :)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Susanne wrote: "Stellar review TQ! Glad you loved this!"

Thank you so much, Susanne! 👑💗👑

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review TQ! I’m really looking forward to reading this! :)"

Thanks very much, Nicola! Have a happy read! 💗😊💗

message 27: by Negin (new)

Negin Wonderful review, Tudor Queen. I just added this to my wish list.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Negin wrote: "Wonderful review, Tudor Queen. I just added this to my wish list."

Thank you so much, dear 😘 Negin! 💕

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wonderful review TQ!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Holly wrote: "Wonderful review TQ!"

Thank you so much, Holly! :-)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, T.Q.! So glad you enjoyed it. I am tempted to read this, but my shelf is about to topple over. ❤😊

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, T.Q.! So glad you enjoyed it. I am tempted to read this, but my shelf is about to topple over. ❤😊"

Thank you so much, MaryBeth! I know what you mean...there's been so many good releases lately, it's so tempting to grab yet another one. I don't think I've ever been so loaded up with books from NG and Edelweiss to read. I keep slipping in "just one more", lol.

Peter Excellent review, TQ, I loved this book too.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Peter wrote: "Excellent review, TQ, I loved this book too."

Thank you so much, Peter. I enjoyed your review as well 🙋👑

Elyse Walters Love your review Tudor^Queen :) xoxo

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Thank you so much, Elyse! ♡♡♡

message 37: by Beata (new)

Beata Excellent review, TQ, of an interesting book :))

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Beata- Thank you so very much, dear! ♡♡♡

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie Awesome review, TQ!! 😊💖😊

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Julie- Thank you very much! ♡♡♡

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I love an emotional read about family and this sounds terrific! Wonderful review, TQ! ♥️

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Jennifer- Thank you so much! ♡♡♡

message 43: by Paltia (new) - added it

Paltia Insightful and intriguing review. I’m looking forward to reading this.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Paltia- Thank you very much! ♡ Enjoy, it's a good read :-)

message 45: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wonderful review, TQ 💖

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Felicia wrote: "Wonderful review, TQ 💖"

Many thanks, Felicia! 🌹💓🌹

message 47: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Gorgeous review, Tudor! :-)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Kimber Silver- Thank you so much! ♡♡♡