Kate ✨ is a dreamer's Reviews > Stay

Stay by Sarina Bowen

22207986

4 brilliant stars!

This book was sooo cuuuute!! Emailed / electronic love is one of my favorite tropes! That's the actual correct name, but I can't think of one that's more apt.

The book opens up with Hailey Taylor Emery (HTE) as the virtual personal assistant of who she thinks is the famous hockey player Matt Eriksson. Hailey is the owner of Fetch, an app of virtual personal assistants, and has taken over the account of Sniper87 (Matt) herself.

Such begins a slow-ish burn romance of steamy DMs over the app for requests! One of my favorites was when he requested all the components of a romantic dinner over the app, and then had a note taped on his apartment door asking her to come in and join him as a date. It sounds high-handed out of context, but it was really sweet in the book.

The main character, Hailey, was super innocent and kind. Before she got divorced, she was married to her best friend. They'd been friends since they were six, and just morphed into best friends to lovers to spouses. For all intents and purposes, she'd never been on a date or had to ask a guy out or do any of that guesswork. It was fun to watch her figure it out with Matt!

And we she got all nervous during their dates, he'd text her. Since she's more confident over the phone and they got started over DM's, they'd ratchet up the sexual tension over their devices until it spilled over into reality.

This was from when they were next to each other on a couch and she froze up, so he started texting her. This was the last thing he sent... X)

Matt: First, maybe I can convince you to kiss me again. I’m right here, honey. Come get me.

*shivers*

This is book #2 in the WAG's series, and it definitely got me interested in exploring the others, since this is my first time reading a book in this series. While it can certainly be read as a standalone, I just had too much fun with the side characters and the wives/girlfriends of the other guys on the hockey team.

She’d found my martini glasses.
“Drink this. It’s medicinal. Scares off the dementors.”
“I thought that was chocolate,” I say, taking a glass. “Pffft,” Estrella replies, handing one to Katie.
“You can’t tell me those grownup witches and wizards weren’t hitting the hard stuff after a rough day with Voldemort.”

I read this book to check the "Dungeon" box for Romanceopoly, a reading challenge, where I had to read a book with an ex-con or from one of the books on UTC or Peace Love Book's book boyfriend list. Stay was from UTC's list, and I took a bit of gamble purchasing it.

The cover is kind of hard-core and harsh looking, and I didn't even realize the black thing in the corner was a dog until after I posted the cover on my Instagram story. I thought it was a crow! But it's adorable, slobbery Rufus from the book :) But the cover DOES NOT match the sweet, adorable book that hides between its pages. I really can't endorse this one enough :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay.

January 25, 2019 – Started Reading