Glenda's Reviews > Among the Lost

Among the Lost by Emiliano Monge

bookshelves: giveaways

4 out of 5 stars

There are times when I finish a book and wonder what the hell I just read---was it truly brilliant or merely crap adorned with random acts of brilliancy?

In the case of Among the Lost by Emiliano Monge, I can honestly say I'm not sure, but I liked it.

The stark narrative involves human trafficking and illegal immigration, a hot-button issue nowadays. Among the Lost does not go into the politics, rather it goes to the underbelly, the reality that mainstream media usually doesn't acknowledge. There are those wishing for a better life and willing to pay, only to find out their life is payment. There are the traffickers and their "employees" and a sadistic priest as well. Strangely enough, there is also a love story between two of those who "survived" and now find themselves wanting the same freedom that those they kidnap and trade wanted as well.

Surreal, disturbing, and dark. And I totally recommend.

Thank you to librarything Early Reviewers giveaways and Scribe Publications for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Lost.

January 25, 2019 – Started Reading
January 25, 2019 – Shelved
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: giveaways
January 30, 2019 –
page 97
26.36% "Dark, disturbing, surreal, and totally f****d. And I'm only on page 97."
February 5, 2019 – Finished Reading