Gina Denny's Reviews > The Heretic Queen

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read on March 28, 2012

I don't know if there's really much to say about Moran's work that I haven't already said. Once again, she balances fact and fiction together so seamlessly, and manages to suck you right into this ancient world of people who actually lived.

I've never really loved the world of Ancient Egypt- it's just never really tickled my fancy. But between Nefertiti and this book, I really enjoyed myself. Admittedly, a lot of these books are fiction, since we really just don't know that much about the ancient Egyptians (most of what you "know" is speculation, it turns out).

The big drawback for me was this: the story is REMARKABLY similar to Nefertiti. The whole teen-bride-schemes-to-become-Chief-Wife is a little too similar for my tastes. Her reasons are different, her methods are different, but the overarching story is very, very similar. But, the book is so fun and engrossing, that I'm willing to overlook that fact.

PARENTAL ADVISORIES:
Violence 3/5: Egypt is at war in some way or another the whole time, so battles and such are discussed, but vaguely. Poisoning and assassination is common, and we find that several characters who died "accidentally" were actually murdered. A fairly graphic birthing scene. Vague reference to what pirates would do to a woman if they caught her.

Language 0/5: I don't remember any.

Sex 3/5: Vague references to "providing pleasure to the area beneath a kilt" and such. Discreet descriptions of a couple having sex. Watching nude dancers makes a man more amorous with his wife. Jealousy surrounding polygamous relations. Discussion and references to the harem girls and their purpose.

Substance Abuses 2/5: Wine is served at every meal, some people get drunk deliberately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heretic Queen.