Rebecca's Reviews > Shakespeare Bats Cleanup

Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: ya-lit

Kevin Boland, our protagonist, has eyes for one thing: baseball. However, when a case of mono strikes this fourteen year old first-basemen, Kevin is forced to find entertainment in something other than the America's favorite pastime. In a fit of boredom, he wanders into his father's library where he is begins a very secretive flirtation with poetry. The next 116 pages document both Kevin's own attempts at poetry, and an often funny, sometimes heart-felt, look at Kevin's life.

This is a character-driven book. From the get-go, you connect with Kevin's plight to understand girls and what it means to grow up. Readers who don't mind reading the poetic format will be rewarded with a mix of free-verse, haiku, sestina, and a few good old-fashioned Shakespearean sonnets. Overall, Kevin's story is endearing. As a reader, you almost forget you are reading poetry and wander in his very sincere, honest, funny, and real world of being a teenage boy.

Readers who enjoyed the Sharon Creech's Love that Dog and Hate that Cat will enjoy this equally as entertaining novel. Though I fear the reference to Shakespeare in the title and it's verse styling might initially be off-putting to one of it's main audiences (teenage males), it takes only a few pages to connect with Kevin. He watches TV. He loves sports. He hates poetry. He finds his father embarrassing. Really...readers might find they have more in common with this protagonist than they ever expected. Overall, a quick, feel-good read. A real home run!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare Bats Cleanup.

January 28, 2012 – Started Reading
January 28, 2012 – Shelved
February 6, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 20, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-lit

message 1: by Mckensy (new)

Mckensy I sounds like an interesting book

message 2: by Kaitie (new)

Kaitie I enjoy poetic formatted books and it sounds like a good book

message 3: by Meredith (new)

Meredith This sounds like a unique story. I'd be curious to read about Kevin's "flirtation" with poetry.