C.'s Reviews > Flash Gold

Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker

F 50x66
Jan 28, 2012

Read in January, 2012

This story hooked me from the beginning. Many steampunk stories begin with heroes or heroines in ghastly trouble from the get go and include horribly awkward dialog to get the story started and they usually have me going...ok, what else is on my Kindle, but I so want to read good steampunk so I keep trying. In, Hunted by Lindsey Buroker, I was happy to just groove with the story and get into it unfettered. I enjoyed the pace and the story moved well and was really good and the series, for me, holds much promise.

This is a quick read and one that is very enjoyable as the character, Kali McAlister wishes to win a dog sled race with her own special sled that she's created. Her father is dead and she lives in Moose Hollow in the snowy Yukon alone. She gets along just fine, but then a friend advises Cedar, a mystery man, to go to Kali's home because she needs help on the race. Kali's independent nature resists Cedar but he ends up coming in very handy. I think that the story was just plain fun. Kali is a really good character and Cedar is as well. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader turning the pages and the writing is pretty good. I didn't find myself playing editor with this Kindle book either. The gadgetry is interesting and didn't seem too over the top with explanations. With many of the scenes, I was able to visualize what was happening like when the snow is cold and deep and the sled has to run across a frozen lake with a mysterious airship overhead lurking dangerously..ok. Pretty good stuff, for me anyway. I enjoy this story and recommend it for an hour or so of interesting entertainment in Moose Hollow and beyond. Kali McAlister has plenty of secrets, interests and intelligence to make further adventures very appealing.
Comment | Permalink
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Gold.