Kristin Lanier's Reviews > Only Ever Her

Only Ever Her by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read February 2, 2019 to February 5, 2019.

Ugh, it pains me to write this review. I absolutely loved Whalen’s “When We Were Worthy.” So, I was excited to receive an advanced reader’s copy of her newest one, coming out in May. However, I did not like it as much as I was hoping I would.

“Only Ever Her” is about a bride who disappears and everyone is trying to figure out what happened to her. Did she leave on her own? Or did something more sinister happen? It definitely reads more like fiction than mystery/thriller, which I thought worked well. It did take several pages for me to actually get into the story. It was very slow moving. The story is told in several characters’ points of view which made it hard to keep track of everyone. By time I got to the halfway point, I just skimmed to see how it would end. I didn’t care for the ending at all. Once the mystery was revealed, I thought ‘Is that it?’ I felt there could have been several different ways to end the book, that would have made a better story. I know many people who enjoyed it so I may be in the minority.

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for sending me an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Ever Her.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 25, 2019 – Shelved
January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 2, 2019 – Started Reading
February 5, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 5, 2019 – Finished Reading