Prom's Reviews > Courageous

Courageous by Randy Alcorn

Jan 28, 2012

did not like it

This book was beyond horrible. And I am only giving it one star because there is nothing lower than that. What??? is the deal with the prose? Seriously? The only thing I could visualize when I read any parts involving the "ghetto" or the inner city was some white writer watching troubled youth shows and doing research on how to be "gangsta" and then interpreting that to the page. Awful.

These books, the ones with the messages centered around a Christian moral, are written, it would seem, by the preacher for the choir. If I were a non-believer, I would never have made it past the first paragraph of the first page. It is so unrealistic in its plot and contrite in other areas that concentrating on anything besides the horrendous writing was difficult. No character had their own voice. No character embodied any personality. Horribly, horribly written. But I am a believer. In God. In these books. And, above all, in the written works. So I finished the piece.

I am a sucker for these books because I believe in their cause. I did knowingly and willingly purchase this title on the off chance that it might be different than Fireproof (an equally displeasing read). And I want franchises like this to succeed. But there has to be more in it for the loyalty some of us offer. At least, at the very least, a well written piece that doesn't seem like it was conjured up by some 13yrold for his creative writing class. Take away creative and thats exactly what this is.

While the book did have a good message (one, in my opinion, directed to Christian men and only Christian men, eliminating an entire demographic of other men seeking something but not sure what.) it failed in its quest to deliver said message in a manner thats accessible to the general reading public. Hard working dads (which is exactly who the target audience is) will never take the time to read something like this. Their wives will read it and then force the highlights onto their husbands. And the husbands will vaguely look on as their wives speak because the wives were unable to grasp the core content due to such inept writing.

If this were a letter to the author, I would specifically ask him to write to his audience, not a manner that allows the reader to find commonality with the characters, but rather in a manner that allows the reader to recognize themselves in the trials and triumphs the character struggles through. I would ask the author to hold his readers to a higher esteem and assume they are intelligent and can handle a little more substance. But this isn't a letter to the author. Its a book review. So to you, fellow readers, I say good luck. Because if you've managed to stick around for my entire review and still think that this book is worth the read, you're going to need it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courageous.

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Shank Did you actually read it?!?

message 2: by Prom (new) - rated it 1 star

Prom I did. I could not, in good conscience, post a review or give others an honest opinion if I had not. I am more than positive that many, many people will disagree with the majority of what I have said. Nevertheless, this review, in my opinion, is an accurate testament to the quality of literature this piece is. I also read the title again with my husband just in case I was in a bad place or something when I initially read it. I was equally non-plussed that time around also.

message 3: by Ogz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ogz Have you ever written a novel, short story, etc.?

message 4: by Prom (new) - rated it 1 star

Prom I havent. I can imagine that its difficult to write in a way that captivates your audience. One would think, however, that with three contributing authors, one would be able to hit the mark LOL. Again, this was just my opinion and other people seemed to really get something out of the book. I tend to miss the point on most of what others grasp so easily, so please excuse the review. I dont mean to be offensive in how I saw the story. Maybe Im missing the point in the delivery of my thoughts lol.

Marlene so sorry you didn't like Courageous. it mag have not been a literary masterpiece bug the core message pierced my heart in a way that has me giving the book to the me. in my family. a Godly leader is very far and few between.

Loving others...serving others....Being the face of Jesus is what I took from this novel.

Marlene sorry for the typos. doing this on my kindle.