Kat Snark's Reviews > Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

22207986

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, romance, cheese-romance, contemporary, humor

3 stars!

I read this to complete the "Women's Avenue" square of Romanceopoly, which has you read a Women's fiction book, and went in with a complete open mind. It's been years since I read a Sophie Kinsella book, I've Got Your Number, and in the meantime I've totally forgotten her writing style.

BAM. First chapter and I was brutally reminded of all!! the!! exclamation!! points!! Her writing style is analogous to being a dog on a sailboat in rough seas, all tossed around. But then, someone keeps yelling "SQUIRREL" from different places so the dog is whipping its head around while getting tossed around.

Not to say that it isn't good writing. It's just very... circular? And soooo not my personality. I was annoyed by the bumbling, flighty office girl who embarrasses herself in front of her boss and reveals all of her secrets, without knowing that he's her boss. I didn't care about all of her idiosyncrasies that made this book what it is. I didn't care that she told her boyfriend she was a size 4 and was really a size 8. (Like, they regularly have sex. If he doesn't like her body, I don't think a meaningless number is going to change that. Men's pants go in the 30s for lord's sake.)

So basically, I spent the first half of this book not caring at all about any of it. But eventually, I started to warm up to the characters. I thought it was hilarious when her boss - Jack- started teasing Emma about her "secrets" that were really little white lies.

I did have trouble connecting or feeling sympathetic to the socially awkward, passive-aggressive flake of a main character whose white lies border on pathological. Did it make me laugh? sometimes, yes. am I glad that I read the book? yes. would I recommend? I'm not sure. Office romances have been my favorite ever since Rock Hard by Nalini Singh, but I found myself too... uncaring.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Keep a Secret?.

January 23, 2019 – Started Reading