Jenna Bookish's Reviews > How We Disappeared

How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee

bookshelves: to-read

My thanks to Hanover Square Press and NetGalley for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher.

How We Disappeared is a beautiful, heartbreaking historical fiction novel with an element of mystery. There are several different story lines woven together with different point-of-view characters, but the strongest part of the novel while, also perhaps being the most difficult to read, was Wang Di's experience. Wang Di is taken from her family during WWII and forced into sexual slavery as an innocuously named "comfort woman."

Jing-Jing Lee's writing is beautiful and the character of Wang Di brings a personality to a very real tragedy that could otherwise feel quite distant and abstract in today's day and age. Despite the plethora of WWII historical fiction, there seem to be comparatively few novels which acknowledge the horrific abuse which "comfort women" suffered, much less the lack of understanding these women would have received from their fellow countrymen after the war. Despite the reality that this was a situation of sexual slavery, Wang Di knows that she cannot expect sympathy, and people will treat her as if she consented and, in doing so, betrayed her country to the Japanese invaders. Lee has portrayed that heartbreak and internalization of shame flawlessly.

While Wang Di's story was much more dramatic, 12-year-old Kevin definitely won me over as well. His grandmother's deathbed confession turns his understanding of his family upside-down, and he is determined to solve the mystery without the aid of his father. While his story isn't exactly lighthearted, it definitely provides a counter balance to Wang Di's much darker storyline and feels like an adventure.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed How We Disappeared, and definitely recommend it to fans of historical fiction. I've seen it recommended to fans of Pachinko several times, and while I understand the comparison, I do think How We Disappeared has much better pacing (and it's also about 150 pages shorter.) Jing-Jing Lee has brought an under-represented bit of history to life in this novel.

You can read all of my reviews on my blog, Jenna Bookish!
Facebook | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Disappeared.

January 25, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2019 – Shelved
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
May 9, 2019 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
May 14, 2019 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)