Alison's Reviews > Theft of Swords

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

Jan 28, 2012

Read from January 28 to February 02, 2012

The Theft of Swords is the first omnibus in Michal J Sullivans’ Fantasy series “The Riyria Revelations”, and contains the first two stories, The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha.  This is an incredibly engrossing series, if you're a fantasy junky, this is your fix.  Think David Eddings vrs The Princess Bride for great characters, witty dialogue, a fun well writen plot, and light easy to read style.

Although relatively complete in itself, this is definitely part of a series, and while I believe the series does have a final ending already, it's a few books away, and Michael has already proven, anything can happen next.

[Read the full review at http://www.fangtastic.com.au/books/shop.php/fantasy/theft-of-swords/p_14322.html ]

If you enjoy light hearted dialogue, set in a comfortable read, and interesting characters, then this is a must read series. Definitely will appeal to fans of Robin Hobb, David Eddings or Katherine Kerr. If you prefer your fantasy full of bloated prose and described as "epic" you'll probably complain. I, personally, am eager to get into Rise of Empire. And it's already out!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theft of Swords.

01/28/2012 page 11
2.0% "Where off to a great start. Light, funny, witty...but can thus continue, or will it Ed up bogged down in its own wit? This is, after all, an omnibus...there's a lot of time for it all to turn to custard. (ps, BIG bloody book, wish I had the eBook version, there will be no knitting while reading this one, I'd never get it to stay open long enough to do a row." 1 comment
01/28/2012 page 49
7.0% ""Sure"...some words make you cringe as soon as they're uttered...you just KNOW that things are about to get "interesting"."
01/28/2012 page 59
9.0% "Shit. See, what did I tell ya. Didn't take long for it all to turn pear shaped, but I didn't see THAT happening."
01/29/2012 page 311
45.0% "This is an incredibly engrossing story, if you're a fantasy junky, this is your fix. Think David Eddings vrs The Princess Bride for great characters, witty dialogue, a fun well written plot, and light easy to read style. Now on to book two! (I love me some omnibus)"
01/30/2012 page 384
55.0% "Dear gods, she wouldn't fall for bollocks like that would she?!"
02/02/2012 page 572
83.0% "Muwhahaha! Take THAT suckers. I've spent the last several chapters worrying that this author was going to do something dreadful, but I have had my faith restored and am now as excited as a school girl. Things are heating up (if you'll excuse the use of the pun while things are burning to the ground)." 1 comment

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Thanks Alison, both for posting a review here - but also out on Fangbooks. I'm glad you enjoyed and look forward to your impressions on Rise of Empire.