robyn's Reviews > Bright Before Us

Bright Before Us by Katie Arnold-Ratliff

Jan 28, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

I didn't really like this book all that much. The characters were not likable, but that would be okay if they were at least believable. But they weren't. Granted they're supposed to be in their early twenties, when every little word and action in life is wrought with meaning, but so much of this book just seems like, well, something out of a hipster-angst movie, I suppose. I'm not sure if the author is young. If she is then that might change my take on the novel. This really felt like a young adult novel to me. If that's what it was supposed to be, then I would say it's a pretty good book.

But as an adult the characters are insufferable. And nothing really happens. So many over-the-top events happen that lead the reader to believe that the story is going somewhere, but then the events just stop and the capricious anti-hero takes another route. The prose itself is good, which stopped me from giving it one star. And it's perhaps a good read if you're just looking for something breezy which makes you pine for your romantic days of young adulthood. But it wasn't particularly my cup of tea.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Before Us.