Raúl's Reviews > Game Programming Patterns

Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom

M 50x66

Excellent!!

As a senior software developer (LOB) with limited game development experience, I found this book to be very well written, easy to follow and understand.

Code samples are well written and simplified or toned down to make the essence of each pattern easier to see and grasp. Most, if not all, of the code is written in C++; but kudos to the author for using a simple and more basic form of C++ without all the modern syntax and sugary stuff. I'm a C# developer and I had no problems following the sample code.

I loved the graphical diagrams used to help explain abstract concepts; they were the perfect compliment to the text that made reading a technical book, such as this, very enjoyable and made everything easier to follow.

The little notes on the right margin are also really interesting and made the book more enjoyable.

Is important to note that this is NOT a step by step game programming book!!!; you will not have a game coded by the end of the book, and code samples aren't meant to be copied and pasted into whatever IDE you're using either (they are not production ready; and they do not try to be). This book is about explaining you the common patterns used by game developers; this stuff is meant to be digested and understood in order to apply it in your own code.

In summary, this is really good book, well written, with good amount of text, code samples and diagrams and it is well structured too. All these characteristics make this book easy to follow and understand (and is enjoyable too).

I think it is a must read for any developer that is interested in game design and game patterns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Game Programming Patterns.

April 26, 2015 – Started Reading