Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > A Virgin River Christmas

A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr

liked it
bookshelves: ddg, holiday, 3-5-stars, nook-tbr

Another 3.5 Stars for me.

I liked so many things about this book, but am giving it 3.5 stars because I was bored in places and found myself skimming [never good for me].

What did I like:
1 -- the author addressing the real issue of our fighting troops and the people who love and care for them.
2 -- the courage Marcie had in searching for Ian against all odds.
3 -- the Holiday theme [wish I'd read it at Christmas]. Love, love, loved the Christmas tree and all it represented.
4 -- the love of this community.

I really liked much about this story, but there was a depth missing. It is almost like the author has so many characters to keep up with and she has to weave each into the story, it loses depth for the main characters. Plus, as poignant as this particular topic was, I felt she could have spent more time on it. The topic being the fragile human condition after returning from a war front. Of course we expect the troop to be impacted, but not much thought given to those supporting and loving the returning individual. So heart wrenching.

Overall, a good story, but could have been more [my opinion]. If you are courageous enough to tackle some of the social issues this author addresses, then you should be damn sure to give it the attention it deserves.

I'm giving myself a break from this series for a bit and will return later this year.

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Virgin River Christmas.

January 27, 2012 – Started Reading
January 27, 2012 – Shelved
January 27, 2012 – Shelved as: ddg
January 27, 2012 – Shelved as: holiday
January 28, 2012 –
page 142
49.82% "Okay, Ian isn't who I thought he would be, but I do like this story. The very beginning gave me goose bumps. Marcie's courage is so inspiring. I think, Ian is the way he is because of two things; 1)PSTD and 2)feels like he let his friend down. It will be interesting to see how RC pulls him out. I thought the message Marcie received from the sermon spot on. I normally don't read "inspirational" books, and this borders"
January 28, 2012 –
page 200
70.18% "I just love this Christmas tree. Gave me goose bumps when they had the lighting. Powerful message she is sending with this one, or maybe just me."
January 28, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: 3-5-stars
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: nook-tbr

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Baba (new)

Baba  Nice job, Michelle!

Christa Michelle, I liked this one, but believe it is my least favorite of the series.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Yes - another thing a little puzzling was where it fit in the book series. You had Vanessa, but pre-baby. There were many things I liked, but it really could have been so much more. I wonder how much publisher deadlines and editing interfere with a story being better? If this is the case, what a shame. This one could have been really important.

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian I struggled a little with this one too. I think it was probably a novella that was stretched into novel size. I didn't dislike it, but it's not a favorite.