Lucinda Clarke's Reviews > The Obituary

The Obituary by Miranda Rijks

31319906

READERS’ FAVORITE REVIEW FOR THE OBITUARY

The Obituary by Miranda Rijks is a psychological thriller set in the Sussex countryside in England. Laura Swallow is a divorcee in her forties whose second date is interrupted by a phone call from her daughter Mel who has recently left home to attend university in Manchester. A Facebook post is telling the world that her mother had died. Laura tries to shrug it off, but there is worse to come. A copy of her death certificate, threatening notes, an obituary in the local newspaper. Laura does not know which way to turn as even her job is threatened, and she is loath to ask her ex-husband, about to become a proud father for financial help. It is only 4 years since the death of her sister Becky in a road accident and she has no idea who is threatening her with the same fate.

I sat down to read The Obituary by Miranda Rijks and found it almost impossible to put down. Her characters leapt off the page, I cared about Laura and as I furiously turned the pages, I was unsure who was behind the plot. I liked that Laura, her ex-husband and his new wife were so mature, I felt for Dr Ben when Laura suspected him, and Mel was a typical teenager. A fast-moving plot, it was easy to read as the sentences flowed effortlessly. For a day I shared their lives and I am going to check out any other books in this genre written by this order. A great read and well worth the 5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obituary.

Started Reading