Melanie's Reviews > Well Met

Well Met by Jen DeLuca

bookshelves: romance, arc, contemporary, read-in-2019

ARC provided by Berkley in exchange for an honest review.

Be still, my heart. This really was the romcom of my dreams. My whole life, I’ve been obsessed with going to renaissance fairs every fall in Michigan. My heart (and my nostalgia) is just so strong thinking about the memories I have from each year I went, numerous times. But never have I ever read a book where the setting was a renaissance fair! Well, that is until Jen DeLuca decided to give me everything I’ve ever wanted.

Emily - 24, travels across the country, to a very small town, after a breakup to help out her sister and niece while her sister recovers from an accident. Her niece, Caitlin, very much wants to be a part of the renaissance fair this year, but she needs a parental guardian to volunteer as well! Emily soon turns into Emma, the tavern wench.

Simon - 27, a high school English teacher, and very protective of his town’s renaissance fair, that he helps run every year, while he also becomes Ian Blackthorn, the hottest pirate ever.

“Emma the Tavern Wench was turned on by Captain Blackthorn, Pirate. This could be a problem.”

I mean, you all know where this is going. But the ride? One of the best I’ve been on for all of 2019. I fell so in love with both of these characters and everything they were going through, while also wishing that Willow Creek, Maryland, was a real town, because I fell in love with the entire community, on and off the fairgrounds.

I loved the themes of family and community throughout this story too. The unconditional love between Emily and her sister and niece was the stuff of dreams, and it was a treat to read. The angst between Emily and Simon was the stuff of magic.

“Let us love you, and remind you that you’re worth it until you figure out what you’re going to do next.”

Overall, I just adored this one. From the romance, to the witty banter, to the sex, to the small-town setting, to the unconditional love of family, it was just everything. I couldn’t stop smiling while reading this one. This is such a unique gift to the romcom world, and I hope you all pick it up and fall in love with it soon.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and Trigger Warnings: talk of loss of a loved one (non-hodgkin's lymphoma), grief deception, depression depiction, and abandonment.

Buddy read with Riley & Alexa! ❤

I read this for SummerAThon! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Well Met.

January 23, 2019 – Shelved
April 17, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
June 25, 2019 – Started Reading
June 25, 2019 –
page 164
48.81% "This is 100% my brand and I'm truly living my best life. 💖"
June 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Sophie (Blame Chocolate) *on hiatus* I LOVE the sound of this! You and me Mel. Just added to my TBR :) Thanks!

Melanie Sophie (Blame Chocolate) wrote: "I LOVE the sound of this! You and me Mel. Just added to my TBR :) Thanks!"

Awh! My heart, Sophie! I can't wait for this one! And I hope we both love it! Happy reading, love! 💖xx

Leigh Kramer I am so excited about this one!

Melanie Leigh wrote: "I am so excited about this one!"

Leigh Kramer Melanie wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I am so excited about this one!"

Ahhh! I can't wait! If we both get ARCs, we should buddy read this! My 2019 hasn't officially started yet because we haven't buddy read a romance! 💗xx"

Ooh, yes! That would be so much fun. I'll keep you posted!

message 6: by Saveli Mokrov (new)

Saveli Mokrov Крутая книга!

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Happy reading babes, I remember the excitement in your youtube video when you got this book.

message 8: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny You have no idea how much I want to read this <333 Ren Faire in a book! Yes please! can't wait to see your review, my inner Ren geek is so excited!! :D Luv you, my gurl! <333

message 9: by Dita (new)

Dita Yay!!

Kendall I snagged this on Edelweiss the other day and oh boy now I'm excited

Hollis this one really was so fun! so glad you loved it.

Melanie Aoife wrote: "Happy reading babes, I remember the excitement in your youtube video when you got this book.
I hope it is as awesome as you'd like & gives you all the homey feels of the Michigan fairs"

this comment made me smile so big. love you so much, sweet friend. 💖xx

Melanie Penny wrote: "You have no idea how much I want to read this <333 Ren Faire in a book! Yes please! can't wait to see your review, my inner Ren geek is so excited!! :D Luv you, my gurl! <333"

i hope you love it, penny baby! i love youuuu! 💖xx

Melanie Dita wrote: "Yay!!"

💖xx

Melanie Kendall wrote: "I snagged this on Edelweiss the other day and oh boy now I'm excited"

i hope you love it, bb! 💖xx

Melanie Hollis wrote: "this one really was so fun! so glad you loved it."

i hope you enjoy this one, beautiful! 💖xx

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Melanie wrote: "this comment made me smile so big. love you so much, sweet friend. 💖xx"

Always glad to help a smile 😇
Nabbed myself the kindle version last night...wonder how long I'll be able to wait before picking it up

*hint* probably not very long at all, although i would like to finish one of the books I'm currently reading before i pick up another 🙈

message 18: by Sam! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam! at the bookstore Thanks for the wonderful review! This book looks adorable, and something I would love :)

Alexandra ✨Reading By Starlight✨ This one somehow flew under the radar but it sounds so good! Sign me up!

Melanie Sam! wrote: "Thanks for the wonderful review! This book looks adorable, and something I would love :)"

awh, thank you! happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Alexandra wrote: "This one somehow flew under the radar but it sounds so good! Sign me up!"

my heart! happy reading, bb! 💖xx

Melanie Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️ wrote: "Nice review :)"

thank you, love! i hope life is treating you kindly! 💖xx

message 24: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi Hey, you have a new profile picture. I like it. And I really like this book, too. The sequel is with Mitch, right. I think it's going to be great!

Melanie Vi wrote: "Hey, you have a new profile picture. I like it. And I really like this book, too. The sequel is with Mitch, right. I think it's going to be great!"

awh, thank you vi! you are so kind! and yes! i believe so about the sequel! i hope you're having a happy new year and happy reading, bb! 💖xx

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Oh is the sequel about Mitch?

I'm prob remembering wrong because my memory is terrible but I thought the extract we got at the end of Well Met was from the PoV of the other "wench" whose name is escaping me now 🙈😊

message 27: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi The kilt-guy =D I don't remember her name, either.. I was hoping it'd be about April, Emily's sister

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Vi wrote: "The kilt-guy =D I don't remember her name, either.. I was hoping it'd be about April, Emily's sister"

I'm holding out hope that April will be featured player in another book in the series...she totes should get her own story 😈

message 29: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi ^ Totally agree

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Vi wrote: "^ Totally agree"

Yay and depending on how many books there are and how many years they span...in a town of interesting people like this one can have so many options for spin off stories maybe even the niece (whose name I've stupidly also forgotten *sigh*) could get her own story. Not a YA tho...but naybe after she comes back from uni or where she goes after perhaps.
Or Queen Christine the bookshop owner could also have a fun spin off story 🤯
I read this book back in Sept but just look at how these characters have haunted my thoughts...even if i can't remember all their names 😂

message 31: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi I thought that too, about Chris. And I like Caitlin's, the niece's, character, as well

I thought the small town aspect of this was really interesting, but I really don't know if it'll still be compelling say, 5 books in

message 32: by Aoife - Bookish_Babbling (last edited Jan 04, 2020 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Vi wrote: "I thought that too, about Chris. And I like Caitlin's, the niece's, character, as well

Very true, guess it'll just depend on how the storylines go for the characters...I mean Gilmore Girls got how many episodes out of their small town relationships? 😇

I think it could work quite well if the characters chosen to share are different enough from the stories that were already shared if that makes sense?
And obvs, if we can get little cameos from our favs from other books 😅
Each to their own tho and I need to check myself so I don't accidentally get my hopes up and too excited for something that may not even be on the table lolz 🙈

message 33: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi I hear you, I hope there'll be more books as well. I haven't tried them but the Fool's Gold series is supposedly a very good small town romance series

SHIRISH KUMR MINJ what's a nice book

message 35: by Suzi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzi Try reading Joyce Lavene's A Renaissance Faire Mystery series. 8 books with romance and lots of details of RenFaires.