WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Lady Derring Takes a Lover

Lady Derring Takes a Lover by Julie Anne Long

bookshelves: historical, series, regency

No one, particularly not her late husband, had ever valued her for wits. Oh, but she possessed them.

Starting off the Palace of the Rogues series, Lady Derring Takes a Lover, is a magnificent return to historicals for Long. The first thirty percent of the book was perfection with our heroine Delilah being told by her solicitor that her late husband was in massive debt and eventually winding up going into business with said late husband's mistress. Their Grand Palace on the Thames boarding house becomes the setting for smuggling intrigue and romance.

“Derring never laughed at my jokes. But I laughed at all of his, even though I didn’t find him amusing. He sulked if I didn’t,” Delilah said. “It’s a small but killing thing, isn’t?”

Delilah and the mistress, Angelique, start off very wary of each other but with fantastic telling some truths and learning lessons story writing, Long gives us a female relationship that you will ship hard. This tandem of women from different social levels and impoverished by the same man bonding together was just brilliant. Long played them off each other beautifully, they had their separate strengths and weaknesses but ultimately, their hearts beat for the same reasons. If looking for a immensely satisfying female relationship in your romance, this is it.

“I am the king’s favorite hunting dog.”

Our hero, Captain Tristan Hardy, is all that is strong, contained, and eventually burning. Delilah and Angelique start off with more of the focus and are so strong, that Tristan ended up a little bit to the edges of the spotlight. It takes a little bit before Tristan and Delilah really get going, around 40%, which I know will make some antsy, but while their time seems a bit shortened by how full this first in series book is, they tended to make the most of it. From the first time Tristan sees Delilah, to the mandatory drawing room nights, and finally to the last 10% of their story, they had chemistry. Tristan might not have felt as fully fleshed out as I like, but let me tell you, the man can grovel/make things right with the top tier of romance heroes.

The notion of seducing her made him breathless, because he thought it was both possible and inadvisable for a dozen reasons.

While Delilah is living at and running the boarding house because it was the only thing not repossessed, Tristan arrives there because he is the captain of the blockade. His investigation into a cigar smuggling ring has led him to believe Delilah's husband was involved, along with The Palace of the Rogues, renamed The Grand Palace on the Thames by Delilah and Angelique. I thought the cigar smuggling investigation worked to get these two together but it moved very slowly and tended to feel almost ignored at times, not the strength of the novel. It is obvious the history of the former Palace of the Rogues is going to be the plot thread stringing the series together as we get a couple hints and clues here that will probably add to the building of an eventually completed puzzle (series).

It was nearly as much a collision as a kiss, at first, fierce and hard, as if they were both intent on punishing themselves and each other for wanting this.

Long did a great job interweaving secondary characters to create a full ensemble cast but I did think it took away from time I would have preferred to go to Delilah and Tristan. I loved Tristan's relationship with his Lt., providing a wonderful showing and not telling insight into his personality and character, wouldn't change a thing about Delilah and Angelique's friendship, but a very small secondary romance and some other minor focuses on characters could have been taken out. There is some on fire commentary dealing with women's rights but I did almost cringe at a very close to feeling forced mansplaining moment. There is some definite first in a series fullness happening here but again, Tristan and Delilah's moments are impactful when they have them.

“Oh, now I see. You’re that Captain Hardy.”

The beginning was 5 stars, the middle 3.5ish, and the ending brought it back to 5 stars, for me. All in all, I was highly impressed with this first installment and am dying to read the next in the series, which I think will be about Angelique and a mysterious stranger that arrives late in the story. A brilliant female friendship, a loaded chemistry couple, and an ensemble cast that pulls you into their world, don't miss this one.

“Know that I am at your mercy, now and forever.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Derring Takes a Lover.

January 23, 2019 – Started Reading
January 23, 2019 – Shelved
January 24, 2019 –
15.0% "
Of all the peculiar things that had happened in the last several days, laughing with her late husband’s mistress scarcely a week after his funeral might have been the oddest.

The first chapter of this book was amazingly good, it has been on fire ever since. I've highlighted like 95% of what I've read. I'm in a tornado of giddiness (trying to calm, only at 15%) but, pre-order this."
January 25, 2019 –
50.0% "His eyes brushed hers as he left the room. She would warrant that Captain Hardy found her desirable, too. Possibly even frighteningly so."
January 26, 2019 –
100.0% "The last 10% of this:

Captain Tristan and his short poetry can come get it any time"
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: historical
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: series
January 27, 2019 – Shelved as: regency
January 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew OK - pre-ordered!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker The middle ended up having a little bit of issues for me, 3.5ish but the first 30% and last 10%, 5 stars.
The way the series was set-up in this has me thirsting HARD for the next in the series.

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Ooh. Looking good. I've preordered too :)

message 4: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I’ve loved her contemporary romance series but I’m so happy she’s writing histrom again

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Jan130 - I can’t wait for people to read this! I want to talk about it and some things I didn’t discuss for spoiler reasons and I need to.

@Amanda - I actually haven’t been the biggest fan of her contemporary books but I have a lot of friends that loved them. So yeah, count me in the happy group that she is back historicals :) Curious to see what you’ll think of this one.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Great review! Sounds like a good one!! 😊😊

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Julie - Thank you! It was really good, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you get a chance to read :)

Joanna Loves Reading I cannot wait for this! I tried to get an ARC but no luck, will read your review after.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Joanna - I’ll be curious to see your thoughts on it and I can’t wait to chat about it!

message 10: by Gio (new) - added it

Gio Listmaker You are soooo lucky. Awesome Review Kyra,

It makes me giddy knowing JAL is writing Historical Romance again.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker @Gio - Thanks! I can’t wait for Tuesday when this finally releases, I want to talk about it with readers. I think you’re really going to like Delilah (heroine) and Angelique together.

message 12: by Gio (new) - added it

Gio Listmaker WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker wrote: "@Gio - Thanks! I can’t wait for Tuesday when this finally releases, I want to talk about it with readers. I think you’re really going to like Delilah (heroine) and Angelique together."

I preordered it. Cannot wait

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker YEEEEESSSS! I'm going to be refreshing your profile for updates to see what you are thinking about it, lol.

Addie H just bought it!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Yay! I really hope you like it as much as I did!

message 16: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Alcazar GIRL! That's 4 stars! *faints* I'm bumping it up!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker You should! lol. The heroine becomes business partners with her late husband's mistress, it's amazingly awesome

Addie H WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker wrote: "Yay! I really hope you like it as much as I did!"

I did!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Yay! Now you can join me in desperately wanting Angelique's book, lol.

message 20: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei Hahaha!!! I want to join that club too! LOL

Addie H WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker wrote: "Yay! Now you can join me in desperately wanting Angelique's book, lol."

I have fallen hard for the whole household/setting - surely the girl who reads next door in the pub also has a story. I am intrigued...

Addie H Mei wrote: "Hahaha!!! I want to join that club too! LOL"

Yay! the more the merrier!