Rayne's Reviews > Monument 14

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monument 14.

January 27, 2012 – Shelved
May 10, 2012 – Started Reading
May 10, 2012 –
page 52
17.11% "So far I like what's going on, but the narration is annoying me a bit."
May 11, 2012 –
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: sick-relationship
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: slut-shaming
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: stalking-means-love
May 29, 2014 – Shelved as: no-sequel-for-me

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I soooooo want this book.

Rayne Me too.
But I know I'm going to hate it.
The other day I started writing a short story Just.Like.This.One. -_-' I hate it when that happens...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh that sucks. :/

Rayne I'll probably read book 2. I am curious about what the author will do with the story, despite my disappointment with this one. I'm glad you liked it a lot more than me, though :D

Rayne I just thought the narration (and also the plot) was all over the place. There's was nothing pretty about it, and I couldn't even say I felt like I was listening to a real teenager talk. I thought it felt a bit forced, but that's just me. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but you're right, there's no reason why I shouldn't give book 2 a chance.

By the way, awesome! You are really going through them really fast! XD I'm really, really happy that you are enjoying them so much :D

message 6: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Beck Reading this review made me sad - I was hoping for something awesome from this one. I'm very harsh on books that rely too heavily on stereotypes, and that is just the way you described it. I really don't have much interest in high school politics, so unless one of my really good reading buddies marks this as a favorite, I'm going to stay away.

Thanks for your review! :-D

Rayne Hey Kayla. I'm sorry my review made you sad and that it led you to decide to stay away from this one. I really wish I could tell you to reconsider, but, if high school stereotypes annoy you as much as they annoy me, then there is a high probability they will take away from your reading experience when it comes to this book, considering none of the characters actually develops away from those stereotypes. There's the gorgeous, perfect girl, the motherly one, the arrogant, gorgeous jock, the asshole player of a jock, the techie one, the sexy chick that throws herself at guys because deep down she wants to be appreciated, the socially-awkward but strong and fair one and the protagonist who is the target of the jock's bullying and who pins after the popular one, etc. The story is really nothing more than the interactions between these characters inside a super store they can't get out of because the world is coming to an end. The book isn't terrible, honest, but, personally, I didn't enjoy it much because of this.

Thanks for reading the review and commenting ^^

message 8: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Beck Rayne, believe me when I say that I would rather know, so no apology is necessary. Your review is very helpful. Thank you!

I am relatively new to YA, after years of reading only adult and middle grade books. I am well above the target age, and high school shenanigans make me tired. :-)

Rayne Oh, I perfectly understand XD A few years back I didn't mind all that high school drama, but now that I'm well out of my teens, I am also very annoyed with YA books that have a storyline entirely dependent on high school stereotypes. I think it's insulting to the reader.

I'm really glad my review was helpful to you :)