Alyssa's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Jan 27, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I have loved this series, even though I've read them out of order. I love that they're a bit dark - Wallander is always a bit down, which to me seems totally logical in terms of the terrible crimes he's helping to solve. It's his personality, and I liked that about him. It was consistent throughout all of the books. But while I liked the mystery of this one, I seriously disliked the ending.

Throughout the book Mankell's gave hints that Wallander was losing his memory, but the last two sentences of the book are something about how "and he sinks into Alzheimer's and spends the rest of his life in a fog, only enjoying his daughter and grand-daughter." It was pretty crushing, I have to admit. I always had the higher hope that Wallander would endure to at least some sort of retired happiness, but Mankell really killed it. I know he had said he didn't want to bring Wallander back for another book, but it would have even been better if he killed him off in some noble way - saving a life or solving the ultimate crime or whatever. I was even fine with Baiba's reappearance and then death - they had their closure, and while Wallander missed her, he could still move on.

I can't believe that I'm letting the last two paragraphs of a 267 page book ruin it for me, but they did. I wish I hadn't read this so I could have let him retire and be happy in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

Vicki I totally agree with you.

Campbell Me too.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Frum For decades, artsy-fartsy types have been looking down their noses at Hollywood-type 'happy endings.' Such people flatter themselves that a real work of art can only end in misery.