Karen's Reviews > Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love

Inheritance by Dani Shapiro

190448

I've read a few of Dani Shapiro's books and she has a similar tone and approach to them that felt familiar in this book. The story behind this book was really interesting to me and I could tell how life changing it could be to uncover information that fundamentally shifts your perspective on life.

I've had experiences before where I find out something reasonably important which then causes me to pause and go back through all of my history and try to pinpoint times when that information was true but I didn't know about it and I comb through all of those experiences and relive them with my new lens. It's an effort to rewrite the past with this new information you know now (which was also true then but you didn't know.) and that's just not possible. Life doesn't work that way. We only get to live forward and new information can fork the future paths we have but it can't alter our lived past.

And so much of this book is the author trying to come to terms with her new reality. To try to go back and find clues as to whether her parents knew and whether words/phrases uttered at different times in her life had deeper meaning behind them or not.

The story felt raw and real to me and I was able to feel for the author. I was able to experience her pain, confusion and the feeling of being unmoored by the news. There is no resolution in this book (well there is some but not fully since her parents are deceased and so many of her questions can't be answered.) and that's part of what makes it so real and so raw and so much like life. Real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

January 22, 2019 – Started Reading