Kate ✨ is a dreamer's Reviews > The Day of the Duchess

The Day of the Duchess by Sarah MacLean

22207986
3 stars

Regency romances are a guilty pleasure of mine. I hardly ever read them - around 5ish a year - but I always enjoy them when I do.

The Day of the Duchess is by Sarah MacLean, who is a Regency Romance QUEEN. But this one ... fizzed out a bit for me.

It starts off really confusing, going back and forth from past to present. It's probably my fault, but I didn't always register that we were in the past until halfway through. The main character is Sera, who ran away from her husband Marcus after "trapping him in marriage" (view spoiler).

Three years later, Sera returns, demanding a divorce. But while Marcus can't stop blaming her for their past, he also can't bring himself to let her go. So he gives her the summer to find his replacement, and only then, he says, will he give her the divorce. HAHA but he never intends to!

The best part of this book was, admittedly, the side characters. This is the third book in a series I haven't read, so that may have played a bit of a role in my initial confusion, but to be honest I really don't think so, as I have been assured by many people that it can be easily read as a standalone and the book did a great job describing who everyone was.

So for those who haven't read the Scandal & Scoundrel series, it focuses on a group of sisters who are all hysterical and "scandalous." It seems that "scandal" is just another word for "fun" in that world, and they had me in stitches all the time. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride with them, and made me want to continue the series at a later time.

But, unfortunately, the central story just felt very drawn-out and I wasn't very interested in their story as much as what the sisters were getting up to in the yard.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day of the Duchess.

January 22, 2019 – Started Reading