Georgette's Reviews > All the Flowers in Shanghai

All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson

Jan 27, 2012

I really enjoyed this book.
Feng is a young girl growing up in Shanghai in the 1930's. It's a tough road to walk. Feng's older sister is to be married, but she passes away before she can marry her suitor(arrranged marriage, of course). Feng's parents, determined not to lose face and stature in Shanghai, arrange for her to be married to the suitor instead. Feng loses what's left of her childhood and settles into a harder life than she's used to. She finds a way to become strong and independent of her husband and his spiteful and status-oriented family. She also finds a way to birth two children, one in which she gives up(for the sake of the child, she pretends the child was stillborn, rather than give her husband's family the satisfaction of the child being born into privelege, and has her maid give the baby away to a family that will love it), and her son, who is born with a malformed foot, and whose birth and defect makes Feng believe that this is karma for her giving up her child. Her and her husband settle into a mutually-agreeable arrangement of a marriage, and toward the end, Feng begins wondering what happened to her child. What follows- is well, a great ending to a great book. It's a great first novel and I enjoyed it more than any book I've read recently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Flowers in Shanghai.

January 27, 2012 – Started Reading
January 27, 2012 – Shelved
January 27, 2012 –
page 20
January 27, 2012 –
page 20
6.62% "Reminds me of Lisa See. Seeing I am not a fan of Lisa See, this could be trouble."
January 28, 2012 –