SOS Aloha's Reviews > My Wicked Little Lies

My Wicked Little Lies by Victoria Alexander

Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. ~Henry Fielding

According to the UK Tea Guild, The Langham offered outstanding quality and consistently high standards in tea service during 2011.

According to the awards on her resume, Victoria Alexander sets the high standards in historical romance. Her latest release, MY WICKED LITTLE LIES, has raised the bar even higher. In fact, The Langham contributes twice to the plot in this Victorian romance, confirming that Love and Scandal are the best sweeteners of historical romances.

Alexander brings Victorian society to life in MY WICKED LITTLE LIES – it is connected to her recent books, THE PERFECT MISTRESS and HIS MISTRESS BY CHRISTMAS but can be read as a standalone story. Whereas the Mistress books focused on bringing together the hero and the heroine, MY WICKED LITTLE LIES tackles the questions, “when did passion become comfortable?”

This is not Mr. and Mrs. Smith in the Victorian Era. MY WICKED LITTLE LIES explores relationships between husband, wife, friends, lovers, and even a Dowager Countess (it wouldn’t be a humorous historical without a domineering mother). Alexander even gives us a surprise friendship and unexpected lovers. Portia – the third friend from the Mistress series – makes a guest appearance, hinting her story is to come.

Alexander’s strength is her signature banter between the characters. She envelopes readers with the distinct British gentility as they sip tea, dance waltzes, and battle spies without a blink. But it is not all puff pastries. Alexander delivers fleshed out characters with imperfections that lead to misunderstandings to which readers can relate. The crossed signals, of course, add comic relief as the characters rediscover that love has fueled the passion all along – how shocking!

My favorite line is found on page 327, “Although I have always found a good biscuit to be most conducive to clever planning.” (This is probably coincidental, but 327 is a significant number at The Langham).

Recommended read for those who enjoy life's riches - afternoon tea, clotted cream, shortbread biscuits, and Masterpiece Theater.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked Little Lies.

Started Reading