Sandy's Reviews > Back Door to Hell

Back Door to Hell by Paul Gadsby

bookshelves: crime, gangsters, road-trip, suspense

“Choices don’t line up for you. They fall in your lap or they slap you in the face”.

Ah, kids these days. It’s all fun & games ’til someone steals a whack of cash from a crazy mobster. But it seemed like such a good idea at the time….

Nate Stokes hasn’t had a lot of luck lately. At 22, he’s lost his crummy job & gone on the dole. And thanks to his brother, he now has to spend a month working for a local gangster. For free. Nate reports to a snooker club in south London to begin a bartending gig. And that’s where he meets Jen.

Jen Whittaker may be young but she already knows how things work. With few prospects, she works part time at a snooker club & dreams of something better. In fact, she already has an idea how to make that happen but she can’t do it alone. Then she meets Nate.

Crawford is an old school crime boss who’s worked hard for his place at the top. He has a string of legitimate businesses that are perfect for laundering money from his illegal sidelines. He’s smart & when it comes to getting the cash together, he always chooses a quiet place to avoid unwanted attention. Like his snooker club.

But someone IS paying attention. Jen’s been keeping track of the routine shipments & has a plan to liberate enough of the money to buy herself a future. And it’s not too hard to sell Nate on the idea. Sure, he’s dazzled by her. But he’s also intrigued by the chance to leave his crappy life behind. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, several things. Before they know it Nate, Jen & the money are on the run with Crawford in relentless pursuit. Getting the money back is crucial for business. But it’s also about salvaging his reputation & maintaining his position in the crime world food chain.

What follows is a fast paced & entertaining story of 2 young people attempting to survive long enough to begin again. It’s like an intricate game of cat-and-mouse as they try to stay one step ahead of a man with seemingly endless resources. The action & plot twists alone are enough to keep you turning the pages. But there are a couple of elements that make this stand out as more than a great gritty tale about a heist gone wrong.

First, the author’s style. The prose is smooth & clean with enough detail to provide atmosphere but never at the expense of pace. Second, the characters. Nate, Jen & Crawford are the MC’s & each is engaging & well developed. Their personal backgrounds add dimension & help us understand how & why they’ve ended up in the current situation. A large peripheral cast add colour & interest to the main story line.

As I was reading, I couldn’t help but think ahead & wonder how it would end. There are several choices, at least one of which would have been disappointingly unrealistic. Thankfully, the author chose an ending that is sobering yet oddly hopeful. And now I have a new (to me) author to follow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Door to Hell.

Started Reading
January 19, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 21, 2019 – Shelved
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: crime
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: gangsters
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: road-trip
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: suspense

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Hobart This was an insta-buy for me, but I have to wait 'til next month to read it. Stupid schedule...

Sandy Hobart wrote: "This was an insta-buy for me, but I have to wait 'til next month to read it. Stupid schedule..."

It sounds like you're much more organized than I am, Hobart 😉 I wanted to have some reviews for #Fahrenbruary over on twitter & sadly, have a bunch of boring reading to do for work so thought I'd better do this now. New author for me, really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Fantastic review, Sandy!

Sandy Jenny wrote: "Fantastic review, Sandy!"

Thanks so much, Jenny. My bookish resolution this year was to read more books by indie publishers & so far I've been really lucky!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review Sandy. Sounds like a good crooks on the run story. 😊🍀

Sandy Barbara wrote: "Nice review Sandy. Sounds like a good crooks on the run story. 😊🍀"

Thanks, Barbara. You summed it up well! ; )

message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden Ah, reviewers these days. It's all fun games 'til someone writes a really good book. Sounds like you really did it justice.

Sandy Maureen wrote: "Ah, reviewers these days. It's all fun games 'til someone writes a really good book. Sounds like you really did it justice."

Hope so, Maureen. Almost afraid to jinx it but January has been a great month for reading so far 🤞

message 9: by Col (new)

Col Great review - bumping it up the pile!

Sandy Col wrote: "Great review - bumping it up the pile!"

Thanks, Col. It's a keeper 👍

message 11: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Ooohhhh this sounds good! Terrific review, Sandy 💖

Sandy Felicia wrote: "Ooohhhh this sounds good! Terrific review, Sandy 💖"

Thanks so much, Felicia. It's a nice little slice of noir 🤓