DeEtte's Reviews > Child of the Prophecy

Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier

Jan 26, 2012

it was ok

Wow, this was even more longwinded and tedious than the second book in the series. Ms. Marillier is heading steadily downhill, and it was such a promising beginning.

I don't even know where to start--the main character is completely unlikeable, she spends 80% of the book locked in internal debate about whether she's destined to be evil or not. NOTHING of import happens until the last 100 pages of the book. The "love story" is nonexistent: we're supposed to believe that these two people have this intense bond but the leading man is not even in 75% of the book, so it's definitely hard to buy. The only character I felt any kind of emotional connection with was Finbar, and that's only because I have residual feelings for him from the first book! And each book is getting longer and, yet, less fleshed out than the previous one. Lots of words, less and less action. Lame.

I will say that the plot, in and of it itself, is sound. I enjoy where the story is going---it's just being told in such an inane way. But you know me, I can't stop a series in the middle...so onto the fourth!

Somebody remind me, what's the definition of insanity again?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of the Prophecy.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan Chalfin I never made it through book 2. I'm amazed that you're sticking with it!