✩ Ashley ✩'s Reviews > A Girl Like Her

A Girl Like Her by Talia Hibbert

liked it
bookshelves: book-haul, new-releases-2018, audiobook, contemporary, read-2019, romance

2.5 Stars

I’ll just be taking a time-out over in the misbehaving kids corner of the ‘Dragons & Tea Book Club’ if anyone needs me... 🙃

This book simply wasn’t for me. I couldn’t connect with the characters or developing relationship like I was hoping to. In part, this was due to the writing style. There were so many one-sentence paragraphs I stopped counting after the first chapter. By the time ‘cunt’ showed up 3x during the sex scenes and Evan continuously called Ruth ‘Love’ or ‘Kitten’ prematurely I was ready to DNF. The only reason I stuck with it, was because I felt a little guilty DNFing two book club books in a row (and I purchased this one).

I adored the #ownvoices autistic, WOC, plus-sized, Ruth and the steaming hot, ex-military, heart-of-gold, Evan. While they were immediately physically attracted to each other, I didn’t feel the level of romantic chemistry they had the potential for. I wanted to get as deep as I could get into the story, but ended up staying on the surface. I was bored out of my mind by 20% and felt like much of the relationship developed behind closed doors, while I as the reader was being told how much they hung out and talked. I was sexed when I wanted to be romanced... and I liked the end scene in the final chapter but I didn’t see a need for another sex scene in the epilogue.

Ultimately, I’m just disappointed. (P.S. I really dislike the cover—that’s not Ruth or Evan...)

Audiobook Performance: ★★★½

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Like Her.

January 20, 2019 – Shelved
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 28, 2019 – Started Reading
January 28, 2019 –
page 21
6.29% "Starting this early for Dragons and Tea Book Club! (Official group read starts Feb 4!) ohhhh I hope I like this! 💕"
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: book-haul